First Bravos >

First Bravos

Notices

First Bravos

Old 09-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: First Bravos

Thanks for all the info guys. The search continues...
Old 09-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
The Bravo came out in 1988 but had oiling problems until changes in the early 90s...
I would agree to stay away from older boats with TRS drives. I had one and the $$ for parts made me sell it...
And I would have to agree with Panther. Although TRS parts are becoming somewhat harder to get, I would put my money into a well maintained TRS driven rig LONG before I would invest in the early Bravo. If you plan to run it like a performance boat, expect to upgrade about everything that's early Bravo from the transom on back. --- Jer
Old 01-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Re: First Bravos

Originally Posted by Cord
There are retrofit kits to add bottles to the older drives. My 88 Bravo did not have one. Yes, merc did make some oiling changes to the drive a couple of years into it's production. They also changed the bullet shape and the oil drain location. All of these are improvements, but in my mind wouldn't eliminate a potential boat. Do stay away from the big block alpha set up which was a 88 only deal.
My 86 Formula 242ls was a factory BBC 330 with an alpha 1.32 Hd drive. My 87 21 Laser also left the factory with the same package. Many boats that had the 454 Alpha in 87, went to Bravo when it was available in 88. I know this because the 88 Laser that was ordered through the same dealer as my boat came through with the Bravo, no special order needed. BBB
Old 01-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Registered

Smile Re: First Bravos

Also < the early bravo's without the extra oil passage run fine unless extreme abuse, or lack of oil monitoring takes place.
The real early ones did not have any provision for the oil reservoir, but I've ran them up to 425 horse, without a problem. I gave one to a friend. I ended up having an old lower and drilled tapped and plugged the passage in the 90 and newer style upper. No reservoir. Runs great on 25' boat with a mildly worked 1995 330 gen5 motor. There are so many deals on Bravo stuff, and parts are only getting cheaper and easier to find. BBB
Old 01-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Registered

Red face Re: First Bravos

Originally Posted by Panther
Really?? I thought my blown up TRS lowers were cheaper to rebuild than my blown up IMCO Uppers.

Gears were around $700 in the TRS lower and the bearings were cheap, I would rebuild them myself. Merc wants $1000 for the gears in the XR style upper, plus parts; verticle shaft is $200 plus bearings.....

The TRS upper never blew up!! Now, if I could somehow put the TRS upper on top of my IMCO lowers I would be set!
Yeah but dont they usually blow up the case, which is N.L.A.
BBB
Old 01-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Registered

Yeah, I know. We gotta dump the old GOOD stuff cause we can't get the parts to keep 'em running. So we are forced to "upgrade" to later and supposedly "better" stuff that breaks more often; But you CAN step up and pay the price to fix it cause you can buy the parts for the NEW stuff now! Oh, and by the way; Anything old enough to have a TRS in it should have been junked years ago, you cheapskate. If you can't afford to play in this expensive, exclusive, offshore world, you should pull the plug, sink your old junk, and inflate your inner-tube for water fun. -- GOD, I hate that "POWERBOAT MAG" attitude!! -- OK; The rant is over. If anyone wants help with the old "junk", just get in touch. --- Jer
Old 01-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Registered

Exclamation Re: First Bravos

Konrad is the answer for a good hull that has Trs. In my opinion, the 540 drive is one of the best on the market.
The conversion is easy, and affordable for most people that own a boat that's worth putting $$$ into.
My friend's beautiful 38Kv Scarab is no junk, and embarrases some hot shots with huge $$$ boats that think there better than everyone else because of their wealth that they got by being self centered and arrogant and greedy, and maybe dishonest too ! instead of being humble, and being content with less $$$. And actually having a working understanding of their belongings, which brings much more appreciation than just paying someone a load of money to show off something they don't really understand or even know the waterways, or how to drive at all, even thier car...(the guy with the Porshce, on the phone weaving through traffic, not caring to use signal lights, thinking he's above all the peon's ) If I wasn't so generous, and helpful, I'd most likely be very wealthy ! But I hate what money does to people, And it really pisses me off to see women size a man up by his bank account, instead of by the man that he is, that the wealthy guy may not be ! End of rant BBB
Old 01-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

The TRS was a good drive, but I would look for a boat with bravos. Or if you do get one with TRS's spend the extra coin to upgrade to the Konrads. You wont be sorry. If you need Konrad prices I can help you with it.. Jamie
Old 01-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Registered

I Had A Boat Once That I Drove The ------out Of,the Weak Point Wasnt The Drive But The Trans,blew The Right And Then Had It Built,then The Left Blew And I Had That One Built,there Were Two Trans Avalable ,borg Warner And I Think Merc,from What I Remember The Bg Was The Way To Go! Could Be Wrong!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:50 AM
Registered

Have run my Bravo One since 89. Three motors. Last Big Block motor well into the HIGH 500 HP's to low 6's at 6300 RPM no problems for 16 years running, have drive shower and came with the bottle stock.

Quick Reply: First Bravos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.