Diesel Go-Fast >

Diesel Go-Fast

Notices

Diesel Go-Fast

Old 09-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Diesel Go-Fast

Heres the rest of the story. Last year my wife had a bout with breast cancer and after radiation and chemotherapy for nine months, she is disease free. So, I suggested that we do the Great Loop with our 6 and 7 year old daughters for summer vacation in 2006. To my surprise, she agreed but not in our Scarab Sprint. That brings us to 1) a dependable safe boat with warranties that can do 6000 miles in four months. So to get this show on the road, we decided to name the boat the "BC Survivor" and to call our trip the "Loop for Life" We will collect pledges for every mile we complete starting at .1/10 of one cent as donations to the a reputable Cancer Charity. The Local Fountain Dealer Sports USA Marine Group will help sponsor this trip and the local Chamber of Commerce and maybe even the Fountain factory. 100% of pledges will go to a cancer charity. Sponsors will help defray the cost of the trip. In addition, during the trip we will do local media interviews to raise awareness and hopefully save a life or two. So that you Know, we have not spoken to our local American Cancer Society to see what they think yet but I will call them Tomorrow. I participated in three Walks for Life while my wife was sick. Maybe other cruisers can join us for different legs of the trip and raise money locally. The journal has already started.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that is a great cause. I commend you and your wife.

I am at a loss for words....... my wife and I have friends dealing with breast cancer right now. I can really inderstand your wanting to do this.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Registered

The wife and I are going to compare a Fountain 38 Express Cruiser to a Formula 40 PC on Thursday. What are OSO member comments on these two boats for our proposed use.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great idea! wish I could tag along, hope to make the loop myself some day. Lost my father to cancer in February and a sister in 1984 so the cause is near and dear to me, my charrity of choice is Lance Armstrongs "Live Strong"a great resource to me during my Dads fight. If you get in the Great lakes near Holland Michigan and need some time off the boat just call and I'll come and get you and the family I live a block from the lake.
Keep us posted and I think OSO will get on board too!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Registered

I spoke with our local American Cancer Society representative today and they are sending information so that we can structure this as a relay for life event-only longer. This will be considered a Third Party Fundraising event. As we were talking, she asked me if other American Cancer Societies can join in and participate as we travel. Like I send, all pledges will go to Charity. I don't see why we cant designate other cancer charities if they are more active in your neck of the woods. I will take you up on your offer when we get there.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Registered

Hey Friends:
I received a letter from the American Cancer Society outlining their policies for a Third party Fundraiser. All pledges go directly to the American Cancer Society- Florida Division. All expenses incurred in the organizing of this "Loop for Life" must be covered by yours truly. i must maintain adequate insurance. The ACS will provide an acknowledgement letter for items donated to the event and for event sponsors. . I cannot collect any fee, commission or salary. I will provide the ACS with an event proposal in the next few days. I think we will try to include other ACS chapters along the route. By the way, my home port is St. Petersburg, Florida.