Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oh great gurus of OSO ... Info on 1999 7.4L MPI 310HP Mrec black motors??? >

Oh great gurus of OSO ... Info on 1999 7.4L MPI 310HP Mrec black motors???

Notices

Oh great gurus of OSO ... Info on 1999 7.4L MPI 310HP Mrec black motors???

Old 09-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh great gurus of OSO ... Info on 1999 7.4L MPI 310HP Mrec black motors???

Originally Posted by CMG
heres my .02 - Upgrading for power would kinda of be a waste of time with an SS so being cast is no big loss - It is what it is - its not made to go 100mph (ditto on the bottom paint) . 350 hrs in NJ (is that where it is?) isn't like 350 hrs in FL, its was flushed and stored for the winters and not sitting endlessly with salt in it. Is it in a bay or in brackish river water?

Good luck, they're great boats.
It's in NY and it's bay waters, so the theory of stored winters is correct And I'm certainly not looking to go 100mph My Cig only goes mid 70's on a good tail wind But 60-65 might be nice
Old 09-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Registered

Default Re: Oh great gurus of OSO ... Info on 1999 7.4L MPI 310HP Mrec black motors???

Originally Posted by ratman
DON"T do it bro keep the cig...
Looking at a 28' Cigarette project boat too if I get the Formula Won't be a Mistress though We'll see if it's meant to be rat. Figure out your hot engine yet??
Old 09-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Registered

Knot 4 me. I'll check those leaky nylon plugs and motor mount area, thanks.

mkeller, There's no windlass on this 1999. Where was your 1997 that you purchased, what was it's history? And where do you boat?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 1999 and newer 7.4MPI engines are vary reliable engines. Just not vary upgradable like the others have said; believe me I have tried...
One thing that did give my 7.4MPI a bit more kick was a set of Stainless Marine exhaust manifolds. You may not see the +200rpm I did in such a heavy boat, but the cast exhaust should probably be replaced at this point anyway...
Good Luck!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
The 1999 and newer 7.4MPI engines are vary reliable engines. Just not vary upgradable like the others have said; believe me I have tried...
Pat,

I have an older 330hp 454 and have been looking into some mild but effective upgrades. What have you tried on the 7.4's?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Registered

even the newer manifolds are garbage and develope leaks- i work on sea rays- it seams to be corrosion occuring at the aluminum where the brass insert meets it- they can be welded but?????? anyway, the best solution is to either dry store it and flush after each use, or go w/ freshwater cooling, and definetely upgrade to stainless marine exhaust, you also may have to add an adjustable fuel pres. regulator- to richen it up a little for the increased power, not to mention you eliminate the risk of riser leaks and, ps- speed pro hypereutectic pistons are 250/set -at list price, and are coated and should be pretty durable and long lasting, anyway good luck- you should definetely pull the plugs and look at them for signs of rust or deposits-oil, water, etc, and definetely check the compression, good luck
Old 09-16-2005, 08:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mcrsr
even the newer manifolds are garbage and develope leaks- i work on sea rays- it seams to be corrosion occuring at the aluminum where the brass insert meets it- they can be welded but??????
My 1999 7.4MPI has a cast iron intake with an aluminum plenum.
I thought the only older 7.4MPI had the aluminum Merc intake.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ECeptor
Pat,

I have an older 330hp 454 and have been looking into some mild but effective upgrades. What have you tried on the 7.4's?
The older 7.4 carb engines can be built up to make lots of power...
The problem with trying to get more out of the newer 7.4MPI engines is the GM fuel injection system. It was designed for a 290HP truck engine and will not flow enough air to make power much above 4200rpm...
If you want to build up an old 330, do a search here. There are lots of great threads with combinations to like 500HP...
Old 09-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
The older 7.4 carb engines can be built up to make lots of power...
The problem with trying to get more out of the newer 7.4MPI engines is the GM fuel injection system. It was designed for a 290HP truck engine and will not flow enough air to make power much above 4200rpm...
If you want to build up an old 330, do a search here. There are lots of great threads with combinations to like 500HP...
Mine is older...1989 to be exact. I've spent countless hours search here, there, everywhere it seems to try and educate myself on exactly what to do. So, here's my plan - let me know what you think.

Changes - 1) PAW SIS cam (p/n 11304, 224/232° @ 0.050, >.527/.553" lift, 114° sep), 2) Merlin high rise dual plane intake OR Edelbrock RPM AirGap, 3) Holley 800 or 870 carb. It's a copy of a build-up in HodRod magazine that used a low compression, cast piston, peanut port head 0.060 over 454 truck engine (from their "junkyard jewel" series). Considering the difference in displacement I should be able to get right at 400hp.

Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Registered

i forgot, you have the base 454 mpi, which uses a cast iron intake, durability of the manifold is not so much an issue, it was the magnum mpi that used the aluminum intake, anyway, your system is very restrictive to airflow so i would probably lean towards scrapping it and going either a magnum system(expensive and not reliable-intake problems) or go w/ an intake and carb- i had 310 hp mercs that were carbed in a 32 pachanga- boat originally went 63- now am in the 70's and still needs tuning- am running a comp cams marine(xm) series cam and springs, edelbrock intake- my boat is a trailer boat and is flushed after each use- along w/ a pencil zinc in the intake- harland sharp roller rocker arms, large oval port heads, stainless marine exhaust, and i plan to change from qjets to holleys, anyway, i redid the motors and they now have speed pro hypereutectic pistons and moly rings, but this really isn't req'd for what you are doing unless the motors are tired. anyway, good luck- ps- the exhaust systems are definetely worth doing at a minimun, throw the stock merc exhaust in the dumpster where it belongs- it is the biggest thing that trashes the engine!!!! also , why use a generic cam when you can buy the comp cam, made for marine use?? the intake- i would use either a performer or performer rpm- cylinder heads- you can use clearwater cylinder head, cost is 250/head reman- if you are interested i will get you casting #s, and i would not turn it over 5000rpm, let me know!!!!

Last edited by mcrsr; 09-17-2005 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Oh great gurus of OSO ... Info on 1999 7.4L MPI 310HP Mrec black motors???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.