Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Options for blower replacement 575SCI???? >

Options for blower replacement 575SCI????

Notices

Options for blower replacement 575SCI????

Old 09-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for blower replacement 575SCI????

My season was cut short two months by a siezed blower with 143 kind, well maintained engine hours. The sealed bearings in the rear got tired and allowed the rotors and housing to engage in a little foreplay, luckily seizing quickly before the rotors became end mills.

As best I can tell, the long block is good, though I'll be taking a closer look.

I know of a Hybrid kit from Dustin, and for conversation sake, let's say I'm confident I can get a kit in time for next yr. His kit is the only known option that will allow me to go intercooled as a scoop or insert is not going to happen.

I know of a kit the blowershop offers, tweaking pieces of my blower and using them with a 250 blower that has a better bearing design etc. (Shame on Merc). Polished (If you like that) and keeping the conventional roots look, no IC for reasons above. More affordable, but a lot less to the system too.

I'm not a centrifugul fan for reasons I won't go into.

So what else is out there for options?? I would not mind a bit of extra powerbut want to stay sane as it's an XR with a 28 Pantera and it would take a lot of power to get appreciable gains only to grenade drives (My 25' Daytona ruined me)
Old 09-30-2005, 01:12 AM
plums

Default Re: Options for blower replacement 575SCI????

hi cattitude. What hybrid kit are you talking about. I have 575sci's and would like to know more about dustins kit.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by plums
hi cattitude. What hybrid kit are you talking about. I have 575sci's and would like to know more about dustins kit.
It's an "unadvertised" kit using the 3.3L blower and a mix of other 500/525 kit components, intercooled, custom computer map etc. With a cam and valvetrain pieces said to be good for 800 reliable ponies on pump gas.

If I pull that trigger, I'll skip the cam change for now and do it when I freshen the engine. The 575 long block is a good base to start with IMHO, not too impressed with what I've been learning about the blower design- or Merc's willingness to stand behind it. "It's perfectly acceptable that your 3 year old, 143 hour, fresh water, computer confirmed 95% cruise speed operation sealed bearings failed and seized your blower" "Yes, you can tell people we said that" I've got their service manuals, I must have missed the chapter about changing sealed blower bearings at 100 hour intervals
Old 09-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Catitude:
Sounds like you have late model hybrid Weiand/Holley/B&M blower. I don't know why Merc chose to use the B&M end bearing caps with the Weiand housing. It does have the sealed back bearings, which I think is a bad idea. I have an earlier model Weiand (only) 256 on my 575. It has an oil reservoir in the rear bearing plate.
I had a problem with my 575, which ate a screw that fell out of the rear throttle body. Check yours and locktite them all!
It dinged up my rotors. I had the Blower Shop repair my rotors and put in fresh bearings. I now change the oil (RP synthetic 50W90) every 25 hrs. or so.
I also installed the Whipple lowpro intercooler, and it really woke the motor up. I am now running a 3" blower pulley (stock 4"), AZSM ECU, MSD box, intercooler, and the motor is really doing it's thing.
To make a long story short, I would have the Blower Shop rebuild your Merc blower or use their 250, which I understand is very nice, with your throttle bodies and the Whipple 575 intercooler. I think you'll be dollars ahead, and have a nice running, reliable motor.
Regards,
Steve
Old 09-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered

Steve,
I appreciate the input, a good friend has two 575's in his tiger, so he's trying to learn form this too. I'll talk to the BS again- I'd consider rebuilding my blower IF the bearings could be upgraded to a wet or roller design.

Unfortunately, I can't IC in the conventional sense without an insert or scoop which I'm not willing to due, the hatch has/gets plenty of hours logged on it too
Old 09-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Registered

You blew up my boat!!!

Sorry to hear it KB, I feel your pain of lost time on the water.

I was going to suggest blower shop 250s but I see you already have it covered. That would be my choice.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:16 PM
plums

Thanks catitude. Did you price out that kit that dustin is selling? Why is it not advertised?

Old 10-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cattitude
Steve,
I appreciate the input, a good friend has two 575's in his tiger, so he's trying to learn form this too. I'll talk to the BS again- I'd consider rebuilding my blower IF the bearings could be upgraded to a wet or roller design.

Unfortunately, I can't IC in the conventional sense without an insert or scoop which I'm not willing to due, the hatch has/gets plenty of hours logged on it too
Cattitude,
I hear you about cutting into the bunny hatch. I did not want to do that either and didn't. The Whipple unit is only 1 5/8"s taller than stock. As you probably know, it is an intercooler core down inside a new intake manifold, that replaces the stocker. Looks stock to the untrained eye ("yeah it's a 575, guess I got a good one" ). I'm now running 7 PSI with Fel Pro head gaskets.
Regards,
Steve
Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Cattitude,
I hear you about cutting into the bunny hatch. I did not want to do that either and didn't. The Whipple unit is only 1 5/8"s taller than stock. As you probably know, it is an intercooler core down inside a new intake manifold, that replaces the stocker. Looks stock to the untrained eye ("yeah it's a 575, guess I got a good one" ). I'm now running 7 PSI with Fel Pro head gaskets.
Regards,
Steve
Did you go with Felpro as a precautionary measureor cause you lost a stocker?

I hope to start turning wrenches in about 4 weeks, prefer not to pull heads at this time but will do that when i freshen along with a roller cam upgrade
Old 11-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Registered

Cattitude:
When the screw fell out of my rear injector/throttle body, the blower rotors cut it in two. Half fell into #5 and half into #8.
It had real bad knock . Fortunately I was idling out of a no wake zone and caught it before it did even more damge.
I ended up having to replace 2 pistons, clean up the heads,
and get the Blower Shop to fix my rotors. I had them do the bearings too on their recommendation, and I'm glad I did.
Since the motor was out and apart, it made good sense to replace the factory gaskets with high quality Fel-pros. We also replaced all the bearings and ring sets. By the way, the factory head gaskets didn't look good and are not much IMHO.
This past winter I added the Whipple IC and went to a 3" blower pulley for 7PSI intercooled boost. The motor has given me excellent service since then.
I estimate current horsepower @ 750 bobtail/725 PSHP.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 11-14-2005 at 02:22 PM.