A question about compression ratios

Notices

A question about compression ratios

Old 09-29-2005, 07:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 345 Likes on 116 Posts
Default A question about compression ratios

I'm sure that one of you gearheads can help me with a calculation. I'm currently running a 588ci quad rotor setup that has 8.5 to 1 with big chief heads (80cc chamber). If I wanted to put on some chevy-style heads, what would the ratio drop to with a bigger chamber and what size chambers are available? Is this do-able or would I have to change the pistons?

Thanks in advance,
Craig
Old 09-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: A question about compression ratios

Compression Ratios
Old 09-29-2005, 07:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Without knowing the variables, it's going to be hard to tell. I have no idea what the deck, head gasket thickness and piston net volume are. All things being equal, it appears that going from an 80cc chamber to a 112 will drop it fron 8.5 to 7.2.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

If you know what your current setup is (8.8) you can work backwards to fill in the blanks, just play with the numbers.

I'll play around a little and see what I find.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Panther
If you know what your current setup is (8.8) you can work backwards to fill in the blanks, just play with the numbers.

I'll play around a little and see what I find.
That's what I did- it's currently 8.5 to 1

Bore=4.56
Stroke=4.5
Head cc's=80
Old 09-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valve angle on Big Chief heads is different than standard BBC heads, so the valve pockets are different. I'm not sure if it would work or not, but if you try it, be sure to check your valve/piston clearance very carefully. I think you'd be better off changing over to the correct pistons. You will also need different rockers and possibly lifters if you're running offset lifters. Intake will change too. Cam profile, valves, and springs will all be different as well. Why do you want to swap heads? Most of us would love to have a Big Chief motor, especially one topped with a quad rotor!

Last edited by DogHouse; 09-29-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by DogHouse
Why do you want to swap heads? Most of us would love to have a Big Chief motor, especially one topped with a quad rotor!

I'm just not one that likes to work on my boats and do 60 hour rebuilds. Speed really doesn't matter to me. These engines were in the boat when I bought it and I got a good deal on a great boat. What I would like to have in it is some 598ci/750hp's.

Here is a link to the classified if you really want them!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-6134.html
Attached Thumbnails A question about compression ratios-tgengine1.jpg  
Old 09-29-2005, 08:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 451 Posts

Craig,
Its going to depend mainly on where the piston sits in the cylinder and if your c/r was obtained by the head or the piston. If your pistons are dished and the block has been 0 decked, then in theory an 80 cc is 80 cc. The only thing that will change with the new head is the valvetrain geometry. If the new heads you are looking at have a higher CC then they can be milled as well. As long as the pistons arent coming out of the hole at TDC you can achieve what ever you need
Old 09-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you'll find that most standard configuration BBC heads that start out at 119cc (pretty common for Dart, Brodix, AFR, etc) can only be angle milled down to around 100cc. Also, chances are those pistons are deeply dished to get compression down with the small chamber pro-stock heads. That, and they're probably further down in the hole than they should be for optimum quench. If you're changing heads you really should change pistons and reconfigure the rest of the engine to match.

I'd love to buy them but they're a little $$$ for my wallet!

Old 09-30-2005, 06:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by DogHouse
I think you'll find that most standard configuration BBC heads that start out at 119cc (pretty common for Dart, Brodix, AFR, etc) can only be angle milled down to around 100cc. Also, chances are those pistons are deeply dished to get compression down with the small chamber pro-stock heads. That, and they're probably further down in the hole than they should be for optimum quench. If you're changing heads you really should change pistons and reconfigure the rest of the engine to match.

I'd love to buy them but they're a little $$$ for my wallet!

exactly right, if they are deep dished or sitting way down, then it may be best to get new ones as a ratio that low wouldnt be good fo an n/a motor.

Quick Reply: A question about compression ratios

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.