New Throttle/Shifter? >

New Throttle/Shifter?

Notices

New Throttle/Shifter?

Old 10-07-2005, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default New Throttle/Shifter?

Have a 97 twin Daytona with Morse controls. It is much more difficult to shift in out of gear than my friends boat with Livorsi controls. My wife loads the boat and she has to use two hands to shift. I know it is not my outdrives. It is either the contols or the cables. I had a single Eagle with the same contol and it was just as hard to shift. I need to do something so dock or trailer rash does not happen.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Throttle/Shifter?

If your sure your drives are fine it sounds like bad cables or bad cable routing. Has it always been had to shift?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:49 AM
Registered

Gotta agree with cat5, sounds more like dried out cables or bad routing of the cables(binding),,more likely #1 tho.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:08 AM
Registered

Have had the boat 2 years, has been that way since I've owned it. I upgraded the power the drives were pulled my tech said the drives were fine. I do believe that it is not exactly a straight shot back there. 280 Hours. Which cable wears out faster, the one to the drive or the one from the shifter to the ?(I don't know what its called) Any easy way to test cables?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Registered

Disconnect the control cable at the shift linkage on the engine. If the control moves freely disconnected, the problem will be in the lower shift cable, or possibly the shift linkage between the 2 cables. If it still sticks, you can disconnect the cable end at the control (if accessible) to isolate the problem to the control or the cable.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Registered

Change the outdrive shift cable...you will be surprized at the difference. Every customer complaint I've had, a fresh cable has solved the problem. The cable is under a lot of load shifting a big inch prop.

Mike
Old 10-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Registered

By Outdrive Shift Cable Do You Mean The One In The Drive? Ken
Old 10-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Registered

I would assume so. There is a cable that goes from the shifter control to the shift bracket and another that goes from the shifter bracket through the transom assembly and into the drive, also known as the lower shift cable. The lower shift cable is usually the one that goes bad since it goes straight back to the transom and down and usually has a loop in it before going into the transom assembly. It also gets pulled and pushed through the transom when you trim the drive and has a sleeve to help it pass through easier, but the extra bends and movement I think make it wear faster.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Registered

I disconnected the cable from the helm, it moves easily, that is easily with no load. How much of a job to replace the "lower cable?"
Old 10-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
I disconnected the cable from the helm, it moves easily, that is easily with no load. How much of a job to replace the "lower cable?"
If you are replacing the core its fairly easy, If you are replacing the sheath with core its a bit more of a bitc#. Either way you gotta pop off the drive. If you are replacing the sheath with it replace the cable boot while you are there, they are cheap & the old one may get dammaged while you are removing the cable assembly. Also when replacing the cable be sure not to force anything as if you kink the cable, or the sheath you just wasted your time.. If you need a cable you can find them on my site, or feel free to call me.. Jamie

www.LakesideRestorations.com