Oil weights? >

Oil weights?

Notices

Oil weights?

Old 10-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil weights?

My 2005 525's call for 25w-40, but I can't find it around.

I've been using Mobile 1 oil and filters.

Can I substitute 15w-50 in a warm climate?

Thanks for the input... Jerry
Old 10-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Registered

Wink Re: Oil weights?

YEP. There is an oil thread that covers every oil there is and some I've never heard of.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Oil weights?

Originally Posted by Jnewton
My 2005 525's call for 25w-40, but I can't find it around.

I've been using Mobile 1 oil and filters.

Can I substitute 15w-50 in a warm climate?

Thanks for the input... Jerry
In warm climates a straight weight conventional is a must. The 25W-40 is a straight weight blend and is similar in many respects to a straight weight 40.

In synthetic oils a multi-vi is acceptable as the oil has better film strength and resists heat and are good for average type offshore use. If you run hard, have hopped up mills or race...then a premium synthetic is best as they most resist breakdown.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Registered

Default Re: Oil weights?

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
In warm climates a straight weight conventional is a must. The 25W-40 is a straight weight blend and is similar in many respects to a straight weight 40.

In synthetic oils a multi-vi is acceptable as the oil has better film strength and resists heat and are good for average type offshore use. If you run hard, have hopped up mills or race...then a premium synthetic is best as they most resist breakdown.
Thanks... that's all great information. But... can I substitute the available Mobile 1 synthetic 15w-50 for the factory recommended 25w-40?

I read an earlier thread where you recommended Mobile 1 fully synthetic. This stuff is what they call their extended mileage full synthetic.

I plan to do a few poker runs durning the year, but mostly I run around at half throttle with the family.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks... that's all great information. But... can I substitute the available Mobile 1 synthetic 15w-50 for the factory recommended 25w-40?

I read an earlier thread where you recommended Mobile 1 fully synthetic. This stuff is what they call their extended mileage full synthetic.

I plan to do a few poker runs durning the year, but mostly I run around at half throttle with the family.

Many use the 15W-50 Mobil-1 and like it in place of any conventional oil. The thought today is that all fully synthetic oils outperform any conventional oils.

In a Poker Run where you are at WOT for a lot of time and running quite hard.. I personally would use a 20W-50 Premium Synthetic such as Mobil-1 V-Twin...Amsoil Synthetic Racing..Redline..RP Racing...Swepco...Alisyn..for that particular event.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I plan to do a few poker runs darning the year, but mostly I run around at half throttle with the family.

Many use 15W-50 Mobil-1 EP and like it in place of any conventional oil. The thought today is that all fully synthetic oil outperform any conventional oils.

In a Poker Run where you are at WOT for a lot of time and running quite hard.. I personally would use a 20W-50 Premium Synthetic such as Mobil-1 V-Twin...Amsoil Synthetic Racing..Redline..RP Racing...Swepco...Alisyn..for that particular event.

A Premium Synthetic oil handles heat and shear about 30% better than a conventional synthetic. A nice edge of extra protection to have if you ask me when you have a lot of "WOT stick time" in an offshore boat.