alpha question.

Notices

alpha question.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts
Default alpha question.

got a question about alpha/MR lowers. i have an older glasstron 16 footer i fixed up for a toss around boat and i just got it ready to hit the water. after putting the drive back on and toping off the oil i noticed a small pool of drive oil on the garage floor the next day. on further inspection i noticed that it was coming out of a small 1/8th inch hole on the right side of the case. its on the opposite side of the drain plug
an inch or so above the propshaft centerline. what is this hole for and how do i fix the leak?

actually this is a problem on an older MR drive i have but noticed the alphas on my scorpion have the same hole (though not leaking ).
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: alpha question.

could e coming from two areas either the shift shaft seal or the quad seal neither of which are too hard to replace, you just have to split the drive to do it, you can acyually leave the upper on the boat and just pull the lower if you want. Be real carefull when filling an alpha you have to pump real slow or you can blow the quad seal when filling it.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, the hole is a water outlet. I put a brand new outdrive on mine this summer, and I was surprsed to notice the water flowing out when I fired it up. After inspecting my dad's and a couple of others, they all have them, they were just gunked up.

Also, when you fill that thing back up with oil, let it sit for 15 minutes or so and check the oil again in the upper unit before you put the plugs in. Sometimes air can get trapped in the gears and take a bit to settle out (there is only about 1/4 inch hole linking the upper and lower unit oil reservoirs). I learned this the hard way when I paid someone to replace my impeller. Hence the new outdrive. I do everything myself from now on.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same condition on my alpha. Pulled it apart but don't have the new seal kit yet.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glassdave,

Check the shift shaft seal, older ones tend to rust up a little and cause the seal to leak. It runs down in the case and out the water drain hole.

Mike