What Exhaust For A Small Block >

What Exhaust For A Small Block

Notices

What Exhaust For A Small Block

Old 10-18-2005, 01:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What Exhaust For A Small Block

CPPerformance, if I went with the stainless marine exhaust, would it be advisable for me to go with the HP riser to avoid reversion with my motor specs, or would that make it too hard to use the existing under swim platform outlets.

Last edited by fastestbowtie; 10-18-2005 at 01:40 AM. Reason: additional question
Old 10-18-2005, 01:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BRIAN73
Do yourself a favor and purchase a set of Stainless Marine'S
Dollar for Dollar there one of best out there.

I have a set on my 383 and love them. I couldn't see myself spending close to 3 grand on cmi's, which is the brand I would have choosen.

I'm pushing 465 on the dyno with the stainless marine's attached. I know that I'm losing close to 30 hp not going with headers, but the extra money can go for alot more upgrades down the road.

Just my two cent's

Talk To Brownie, He Will Tell You

Brian
Brian, I will absolutely NOT be spending 3K on a set of headers. The absolute most I will spend might be 2K and even that seems ridiculous to me, but it seems there are few options for less. If the Lightning headers will work with my application, and no one has had any overwhelmingly bad experience with them, it seems they may be the best bang for the buck. To be completely honest, I fail to see where the Stainless Marine's would perform any better than the Revolution Marine's exhaust. I do like that they use a stainless tubes instead of cast aluminum for the exhaust, but then several other manufacturers use aluminum as well and for 1/2 the price of the Stainless Marines, it's hard to justify the extra expense when you know it will most likely run the same.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
CPPerformance, if I went with the stainless marine exhaust, would it be advisable for me to go with the HP riser to avoid reversion with my motor specs, or would that make it too hard to use the existing under swim platform outlets.
What is the duration of your cam @.050? You normally won't see a reversion problem with anythng that is less than [email protected]

If you have below swim platform exhaust outlets then the long HP riser won't line up for you. You would have to have a custom pipe built to fit properly. Stainless Marine can build it, just cost a few more bucks.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For about $1800 you could get into a set of IMCO PF2000 exhuast.
we have sold and instaled a good number of these and have had
nothing but great results.
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TRICK
Don't know where you're coming up with the 3k figure for a set of Stainless Marine Exhaust manifolds and risers. That's definately NOT the case.

Stainless Marine for small blocks can be purchased for under $1700 most anywhere.

Before you decide on any system, I'd recommend you take a measurement between crankshaft centerlines to assure you'll have the room required for your new set up.

Shop smart and happy boating!

Fred
Trick Marine
www.trickmarine.net
I was just reiterating what he had said about not seeing himself spending 3K on a set of CMI, so he settled for the Stainless Marine's and I was saying there was NO way I would spend 3K either (allthough, the CMI's I saw for a small block were over 5K). I have seen the Stainless Marines for $1600.00, but was wondering how much better they are than the Revolution Marines, or possibly even some of the other less expensive cast individual runner type manifolds.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CPPerformance
What is the duration of your cam @.050? You normally won't see a reversion problem with anythng that is less than [email protected]

If you have below swim platform exhaust outlets then the long HP riser won't line up for you. You would have to have a custom pipe built to fit properly. Stainless Marine can build it, just cost a few more bucks.
The cam currently in the boat is 222/230 deg at .050 with a 1.5 ratio, will most likely gain a couple of degrees when i switch to a set of 1.6 rockers. However, if I end up building a 383 in the future, I would consider upgrading the camshaft to try and keep my peak HP in the same range. Unfortunately, the next size cam in this Crane series jumps all the way to 234/242 deg at .050 which is a little larger than I would want so I may just stick with what I have and get some port work done. Of course these are long term forward looking possibilities, but if I spend 2K on a set of exhaust, I would like to feel comfortable knowing their is room to grow with them.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
The cam currently in the boat is 222/230 deg at .050 with a 1.5 ratio, will most likely gain a couple of degrees when i switch to a set of 1.6 rockers. However, if I end up building a 383 in the future, I would consider upgrading the camshaft to try and keep my peak HP in the same range. Unfortunately, the next size cam in this Crane series jumps all the way to 234/242 deg at .050 which is a little larger than I would want so I may just stick with what I have and get some port work done. Of course these are long term forward looking possibilities, but if I spend 2K on a set of exhaust, I would like to feel comfortable knowing their is room to grow with them.
The 234/242 @ .050 cam will likely require that you go to a dry style exhaust system. That's fine if noise regulations are not a problem in your area, but if they are you may not be able to comply or you may end up spending quite a lot on silencers.

I would recommend you take a look at this article on the Keith Eickert web site regarding Water Reversion for more information.