Where to put oil temp sender...false reading >

Where to put oil temp sender...false reading

Notices

Where to put oil temp sender...false reading

Old 10-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: Where to put oil temp sender...false reading

Certainly many schools of thought on where to read oil temperature here. In any event a oil sump temperature is to high for normal oils to do their job. Remember after oil leaves the sump it gets pressurized in a pump which adds temperature and then it goes to do one of its two jobs, which is to remove heat from the internals. This means that the internals could be seeing oil temperatures of lets say 320 - 350 degrees, which in the warm gulf air and water temp is way to high. You definitly need a bigger oil cooler to bring those oil temps down to lets say 250-260 max. in the sump. You should be also running strainers and make sure you check and keep whatever engine coolers you are using clear of debris and obstructions so they can do their job effectivly.
Oil temps between 190 and 250 will always help a motor live longer and avoid oil breakdowns.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 10-22-2005, 03:37 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Where to put oil temp sender...false reading

I also want to make mention of using the proper oil temp sender that matches the gauge.
I have a friend who was seeing 300 degrees at the filter pad, incoming from the sump. Basically, oil pan temps.
I questioned his sender, if it was matched to his gauge. He assured me that it was due to the fact that the people that sold it to him said it was.
I never really bought into that, so I purchased the proper sender that matched the gauge seeing we run the same gauge (Faria). I already had a 3/8" bushed to a 1/2" but wanted an 1/8" sender for a new location.
I wanted to put the sender right in the path of oil. No bushings that would put the sender out of the flow stream of oil ( if that made any difference at all).
Must eliminate all unknown variables if possible.
Faria offers 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" NPT oil/water temperature senders.
Yesterday, we tested the validity of the oil temp senders.
Well, much to the delight of my friend (yes, he is an OSO member) his temps, out of the pan and at the oil filter pad, are now 248 degrees at WOT.
Not 300 degrees as originally indicated.

So with all of this discussion of oil temps and oil coolers, without the correct reading of oil temperature, how can one quantify the information if you don't have the right information to begin with.
As far as location, I like knowing sump temps and after cooler temps.
And yes, I am more anal retentive than most but I want my equipment to survive.

Last edited by RLW; 10-23-2005 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Where to put oil temp sender...false reading

On that subject, do you think it is acceptable to check (calibrate) them in boiling water, 212 ?