How to get EGT data?

Notices

How to get EGT data?

Old 10-24-2005, 08:10 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get EGT data?

Last year I built a n.a. 540 It ran great all season. Now that the dreaded winter is here, I am looking to play around a bit. One of my projects is to add EGT sensors and a monitor. I have full dry CMI headers and tails. What type of sensor and monitor are you guys using? Where do you mount the sensors? I would think that the small single tube area right by the header flange would be a good spot but not sure.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Registered

Default Re: How to get EGT data?

use a wide band o2 senor
Old 10-24-2005, 10:21 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Thanks Fred. I was hoping that I could Tig Weld the bungs on myself right by the header flange. Looks feasable to me. I'll be calling you soon to place an order for this and a few other items.

Vinny
Old 10-26-2005, 06:53 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Vinny,
I did this some time back and it was not that accurate. First you need the sensor an inch or two from the head, and that isnt easy with the headers. i drilled holes in the head right at the exhaust port and it was too close, not very accurate.
I had CMI add bungs to my collectors when I ordered new uppers and they put it very close to the flange that the four pipes come into the collector with. I use a narrow band O2 sensor and analog guages. It gives me a relative, inaccurate reading, but I do see changes when things go lean. I wanted to put the bungs down line in the exhaust pipes, but CMI talked me into the collector.. Should be drier there anyway. I am building a new ECU for my fuel injection and it will use a WB O2 sensor. I am hoping to get better results from this setup, time will tell.

Did you get those new manuals I sent all read?? Any questions?? LOL

Dick
Old 10-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had them for 3 years some times they work some times the dont . Replace the thermaculple ,I redid all the conections . Still works when it wants to.

When the motor was stock it would read 1400-1575 wfo.With the remap and Whipples it reads 1200-1300 wfo.

Here a pick where mine are

Rob
Attached Thumbnails How to get EGT data?-hustler-egt-002.jpg   How to get EGT data?-hustler-egt-003.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:48 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I am not very happy with what I have found out about EGT data acquisition. I wanted a system to read all 8 cylinders. It seems that unless I want to run 4 gauges on my dash, the Livorsi system is out. Mounting the pyrometers close to the heads seems to not be the best place for accuracy. Dyno headers have them mounted about 1 1/2" - 2" away from the header flange. This is just about impossible with CMI headers. I think I am going to tune the old fashion way like I have been doing for years.

Dick,
Yes I did read all the manuals. I have a few questions for you. I just brought the boat home the other day. I am still working on cleaning it up and winterizing the motor. After I get all that done I will tear the drive apart. I am sure you will be hearing from me then.

Rob,
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. It seems that your headers have alot more area to weld in the bungs than mine do. I only have about 1" by the flange before the double wall tube for cooling begins. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

Vinny