bravo vs. #VI same boat same power >

bravo vs. #VI same boat same power

Notices

bravo vs. #VI same boat same power

Old 10-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo vs. #VI same boat same power

Has anyone switched from bravos to #VI and kept the same power? What were the speed results. Curious how much power the #VI eats up.

I am sure there are a couple top guns that can be compared, 700-800 horsepower, one with bravos, and one with #VI's.

Anybody have an apples to apples comparison. I know on Skaters site, they claim the #VI is faster????
Old 10-28-2005, 10:45 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: bravo vs. #VI same boat same power

Originally Posted by dkwestern
Has anyone switched from bravos to #VI and kept the same power? What were the speed results. Curious how much power the #VI eats up.

I am sure there are a couple top guns that can be compared, 700-800 horsepower, one with bravos, and one with #VI's.

Anybody have an apples to apples comparison. I know on Skaters site, they claim the #VI is faster????
look at super vee race boats, most have switched to sixes now.... must be faster in the long run or they wouldn't have done it... plus they won't break as often....
Old 10-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good point. I guess they don't eat that much more horsepower than the bravos then.

I remember someone saying that transmissions eat about 12-15 horsepower, so I figured that is about 1 mph loss, in the tranny alone, then the VI has to eat more with the big gears, but maybe the hydrodynamics are better, and they can run at a higher X dimension????
Old 10-28-2005, 11:36 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dkwestern
good point. I guess they don't eat that much more horsepower than the bravos then.

I remember someone saying that transmissions eat about 12-15 horsepower, so I figured that is about 1 mph loss, in the tranny alone, then the VI has to eat more with the big gears, but maybe the hydrodynamics are better, and they can run at a higher X dimension????
you get the semi-surfacing design of the six plus the prop benefits that come with that.....(bigger and better prop selection)

if money isn't an issue, i would put the sixes on and never have to worry about them...
Old 10-28-2005, 11:53 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read somewhere on OSO that #VI's eat up about 35hp more than Bravo's...if your considering an upgrade Merc's been talking about a tweener coming out soon (Miami show?) On a different note - VI's look really cool hanging off the back of a trailer
Old 10-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Changing from a bravo to a speedmaster you will lose 4- 5 mph my friend. Unless you go to a dry sump #6. That I have no idea. I went from a bravo to #4. On the good side no down time with drive problems unless UPS looses your prop for a month. Cat hulls love high x dim. They already have natural bow lift. V bottoms are different story.

Last edited by z.zuperboat; 10-28-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:11 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

correct me if I'm wrong but don't #VI's also need relatively expensive yearly service?(relative to a Bravo, not the cost of the VI)
Old 10-29-2005, 01:16 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I heard that it takes over 100hp to push a bravo lower unit throught the water. Instigator, who set some V-bottom record (with 525's I believe) has #6 drives. A dry-sump 6 should be faster than a bravo. Wet-sump 6's are a different story though.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:19 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CMG
correct me if I'm wrong but don't #VI's also need relatively expensive yearly service?(relative to a Bravo, not the cost of the VI)
150 hours.... i wouldn't call that yearly, but i am sure it costs more than a bravo... unless you are replacing bravos all the time....
Old 10-29-2005, 01:59 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Sean H
150 hours.... i wouldn't call that yearly, but i am sure it costs more than a bravo... unless you are replacing bravos all the time....
Good point (I thought it was less than 100 hrs)- especially for those of us north of the Mason/Dixon line (its friggin snowing out)

Quick Reply: bravo vs. #VI same boat same power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.