Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
cheap braided stainless steel hose .. y not? >

cheap braided stainless steel hose .. y not?

Notices

cheap braided stainless steel hose .. y not?

Old 10-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb cheap braided stainless steel hose .. y not?

OK, don't laugh too hard, ....but every time I go into my local plumbing supply house my eye catches the pre-made braided stainless steel 3/4 in. and 1 in. hoses. Now I know that this 160-200 psi hot water hose is not even in the same class as Aeroquip and airmotive grade hose but... do y'all have any input as to why or why not I might do some selective replacing of my rubber hoses in my cooling system. Of course I'd install NPT fittings to interface with the NPT fittings on the hose. For $8 or $9 bucks it seems real tempting. I'm not tempted to use the setup in saltwater,but my boating is all fresh water anyway. Thoughts please.
Jeff
Old 10-31-2005, 07:51 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: cheap braided stainless steel hose .. y not?

Don't bother and save your money.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the yellow pages in your area for a local Hydraulics warehouse that stocks something like Parker brand Hoses and get it a lot cheaper the the speed shops!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Registered

Thanks, guys. any thoughts though as to why these stainless hoses would be better or worse that stock rubber hoses?
Jeff
Old 11-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts

I think plumbing hoses are Teflon, not rubber. And they don't have the correct flare end. I think.

But yup, go to an industrial hydraulics shop. They'll even assemble the hoses for you for free.

Aeroquip also makes a nice push on racing fitting for black racing rubber hose, not braided, for the budget minded, or for those that don't like cleaning braided hose that have been exposed to the engine room for a few years.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For water, I doubt it would be an issue. But for fuel, oil, hydralics, etc, you never know about the materials copatibility.
BTW, I do the same as others here, buy at a hydralics dealer, much cheaper.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not laughing! I have done it! There is a place here in Wichita that does Hyd hoses. They did the hoses on my Imco steering and made me some spare trim hoses for the drives & k-planes. For my water lines, I had a muffler shop bend up some tubing for the hard to get to lines but they did it a few inches short so I could put rubber ends on them to connect everything up. For the short run stuff they did braided hoses. The braded hose is kinda a ***** to get on and it cost WAY MORE $$ than it was worth as far as reliability, but boating is all about looking good isn't it?
I also had a muffler shop do some radiator hoses from pipe for my truck. I had them chromed. I'm not right in the head.......
Old 11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Registered

Thanks again for the input. Indeed there's no way that I'd use this stuff for fuel or hydraulics. Since I don't like clamps, the NPT threaded ends on these hoses are appealing as well as the braided stainless portion and the price is stupidly low at $8.00 for a 24" section.
Jeff
Old 11-22-2005, 08:36 AM
superdave013

I just have to ask, what kind of boat are you planning on putting sink basin plumbing on? lol

Old 11-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Registered

hey superdave, the hose i'm referring to is the kind i've used on boiler manifolds for hydronics systems. however it still never sees more than 120 psi or 190 degrees. i'm looking for input as to why this is better or worse that the regular rubber hose that currently goes from my thermostat housing to my headers. i've seen some of that undersink stuff recently, seems like they've converted it to some cheesy plastic that looks like braided stainless steel hose. boat is a 377 S type
jeff

Quick Reply: cheap braided stainless steel hose .. y not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.