Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Correct Stack Up 4 Rear Mount Bolts (Alpha) >

Correct Stack Up 4 Rear Mount Bolts (Alpha)

Notices

Correct Stack Up 4 Rear Mount Bolts (Alpha)

Old 11-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Stack Up 4 Rear Mount Bolts (Alpha)

Hello it has been a while since I have written. I have purchased new rear mount bolts, washers, spacers, nuts, all that jazz for my alpha. Does anybody know the correct order of which these parts go? Specifically, the is an extra long lock washer which wraps several times around like a spring. http://www.hlsm.com (MerCruiser Sterndrive Link) shows the stack up, but does not show where the actual rear mount plate fits within this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. I doubt it sits metal to metal. I know it must be proper to have the right height. This is for a 17' Formula Ive swapped the 4.3L V6 for a built 5.7L V8. Alpha drive. Thanks again. Motor fits like a glove. Did 55mph with a tired stock V6.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Correct Stack Up 4 Rear Mount Bolts (Alpha)

I ran into the same problem this spring. I took the engine out in the fall and thought I could remember the order in the spring
I looked in a Mercruiser manual and it had the order. There is a name for the 'extra long lock washer'. If my memory is correct its goes fiber washer then metal washer.
If the order is not correct (which my was not) the alignment tool will not go into the coupler.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Registered

We're close, but stil not clear. Check

http://216.37.204.206/Shorts/mercrui...=113&A=39&B=24

and let me know where the rear motor plate fits between parts 10-14 and we should be good, or if there is some other sequence. Just not sure what fits in the sandwich between the motor plate, and transom plate....????
Old 11-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Parts 10 - 12 go on top of the bell housing. 13 - 14 go under the bell housing when its bolted down. Thats the hard part, keeping them in place when lowering the engine. That why the long bolts
Old 11-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Registered

Glue the fiber washer on the inner transom plate. Place the "spring" washer inside the fiber once glued in place.
Lower the engine in place. Stick the big washer on the bolt first, then the spacer. This places the head of the bolt up where it's easier to get to. Ths spacer should make contact with the bellhousing motor mount.

Capt. Ross
Old 11-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Registered

ok txr is right glue the fiber washer in place I use guerrilla snot ie 3m super weather stripe adhesive the "spring washer" goes in the center of that, the nuts go under the support in the slots then you put the solid spacer on the bolt and slide the bolt with the spacer in the holes in the bell housing engaging it into the nut under the support....good luck after you do that make sure that you check the engine alignment