Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Peach Fuzz on Bravox1 drain plug magnet?? >

Peach Fuzz on Bravox1 drain plug magnet??

Notices

Peach Fuzz on Bravox1 drain plug magnet??

Old 11-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Peach Fuzz on Bravox1 drain plug magnet??

Originally Posted by Panther
I know but I don't believe it. Scientifically, I don't think there is anything with a true "0" friction. If there was, stuff would last forever and we would have absolutely no heat when the drive is running. There's always some kind of friction going on.

Its funny we're talking about the that bearing. The two times that I blew my drives this summer those bearings were totally wiped out and this was with the merc. hi-po gearlube.

Anyway, my guess is the tolerances were never set properly when the drive was assembled. I chucked some teeth both times, so when the second drive was rebuilt I had them take a little bit of lash out and tighten everything up a hair.

Thanks for your advice this summer!!
True absolute zero friction is physically impossible but a mechanical friction that for all purposes is so low that little or no observable mechanical wear occurs can be imagined. There is also to be expected marketing license when it comes to labels created for a products packaging. The product label is not the same as a products specification sheet. The latter will identify the method of testing and the accuracy of the posted results.

In addition there is also friction with in any oil or any fluid do to internal shear forces and surface tension. The automatic transmission's torque converter is a classic example of the forces/friction that this characteristic can generate.

The ability of a bearings rollers to rotate during normal operation depends upon the bearing design tolerances and conditions of loading / use versus the lubricants characteristics. A bearing manufacturer would be the best source for this kind of question.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I am at least one of Mr. Gadgets' customer's who uses the Red Line Heavy Shock Proof drive lube in my Bravo One XR drives. I have never had a problem with "resivoir overflow" due to execessive heat or anything else. During the use of the Redline, Dick (Mr. Gadgets) has had my drives apart for inspection and has not found anything that looks compromising to the bearings, etc, etc. BUT he is right, it IS some sticky, clingy stuff !!!

I have changed the lube in my drives at about every 25-30 hour intervals. I have only seen a very slight amount of fuzz on the magnetic drain plug from the drives---no pieces or chuncks. Prior to switching from the Merc hi-perf green lube, I have been running the Redline for a total of about 80+ hours or so in my drives with twin naturally aspirated 565cid engines making 700+ lbs of torque loaded with gas, gear, and crew which makes for about a 9000 pound boat.

No problems that we have discovered yet with the Redline.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rage,
That bearing holds the lash on the lower set of gears. If the bearing gets sloppy, it will let the shaft and the pinion gear move away from the driven gear and that is a bad thing. I have not seen too much damage to that bearing, unfortunately, well actually good.. but you know what I mean.
I see more problems with the lower gears, or XR upper gears wearing out under high loads and tapered bearings with evidence of metal being run through them. The next big thing is teeth breaking off gears and then the aluminum towers with cracks below the surface or being sheared off completely.
It depends on loads seen by the drive. Driving habits play a big part in those loads. I have one customer running, at first 975 hp through a Bravo that I built and the upper gears wore out in 70hrs, which is Very acceptable for the amout of power he runs.. The boat is a smaller light boat, around 3500# I believe. That customer has bumped the power up to 1150hp and I have yet to see the inside of the drive since the switch. But this boat is driven very hard.. Now a 50ft boat with tripple 575, would eat Bravo's every 20hrs .. we streached that to 80hrs before the vertical shaft would break, but that was a stock shaft and I my opinion a weak point..

I will see more damage I am sure, because there is nothing that cant be broken and in my opinion the Bravo has been asked to do way more than it was designed for..

Sorry, I got to rambling.. the upper thrust bearings will spin continuely... the upper gears are spining when ever the motor is running..

Kamma.. I will give you a call tomorrow.. Well look good an hard at your bearings when we tear them down this spring..

Dick

Dick

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; 11-13-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:49 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I am currently freshening up my XR upper, Imco lower drive. This is my first full tear down and rebuild. Mr Gadgets has been guiding me thru the process. My lower gears were worn out so they will be replaced. The attached picture is of the worn thrust surface of the forward upper gear and the worn lower. I am not certain how many hours are on the drive being that I got it used last winter. I was told that it had fresh gears in it. I think I was lied to or it was set up wrong. I put about 60 hours on it with 680 h.p., 660 torque in a 4000 lb 25' Checkmate. As far as the worn upper thrust surface, I had the surface refaced by a machinist. He took .003" off to clean it up like new. So, I can re-shim with a larger shim and ofcourse make this the reverse gear.
With Dick's help. I am confident that it will be set up correctly this time. After I learn how to do it, no more relying on others for drive work. I have had enough of broken promises and lies.
Attached Thumbnails Peach Fuzz on Bravox1 drain plug magnet??-forward-gear.jpg   Peach Fuzz on Bravox1 drain plug magnet??-lower-gear.jpg  

Last edited by Vinny P; 11-13-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Thanks for bringing that to my attention Joe, I will take a closer look at the needles in that bearing from now on.. And your right, no preload on that one.

Dick
I have lost your number. can you give it to me again?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
With Dick's help. I am confident that it will be set up correctly this time. After I learn how to do it, no more relying on others for drive work. I have had enough of broken promises and lies.
Good, then I can call you for advise. Exactly my plan also.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For those that have misplaced my number... I laugh cause I lose everything.. LOL

616-335-8446 Home before 9pm please.. 5am comes early.
616-403-1006 Cell. During the day.

Thanks

Dick
Old 12-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GOODT
panther, check the red line bottle it says right on it "0" friction
Taking your suggestion, I looked at the 6 empty 1 gallon bottles of Redline HD Shock Proof that I have in my basement.

No where on the bottle does it say anything about "0" friction. The only thing it says is "reduced friction" compared to other gear oils etc. etc.

Just curious but where did you see this?