Hi milage oils >

Hi milage oils

Notices

Hi milage oils

Old 11-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Hi milage oils

Hi, Has anybody used any of the high milege 75,000 and up oils in any of their vehicles? I was just wondering if it would be worth the extra expense for possible seal longevity in cars and trucks. Any experience or thoughts?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Hi milage oils

Originally Posted by grump
Hi, Has anybody used any of the high mileage 75,000 and up oils in any of their vehicles? I was just wondering if it would be worth the extra expense for possible seal longevity in cars and trucks. Any experience or thoughts?
I have personally seen the following:

-Ran a vehicle for 15,000 miles with a good brand of synthetic oil then analysis said to change due to additives having been spent.

-Know of cases I read about where 25,000 miles was attained using UAO's before change.

-Know a guy who never changed his synthetic oil during a 2 year lease of an E-500 MB and put on about 32,000 miles...but did top off if needed. All I can say is that he experienced no oil related failures....

..Mobil went out 180,000 miles on a test engine...so yea..it can be done...but I would only try with occasional testing. Asmoil is currently saying twice the manufacturer's interval with a filter change in-between...they have been tooting the extended drain horn for a while...I think that is real safe.

My .02
Old 11-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Registered

Default Re: Hi milage oils

Hydro, I think he is referring to the oils for vehicles with high miles on them. I have only seen them in dino oils. I don't know what makes them better than any other mineral oil. Doug

Last edited by outriggers; 11-04-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Hi milage oils

Originally Posted by outriggers
Hydro, I think he is referring to the oils for vehicles with high miles on them. I have only seen them in dino oils. I don't know what makes them better than any other mineral oil. Doug
Gotcha..thanks...

"High Mileage" labeling is a marketing selling strategy to get people to switch to their brand of oil in light of a potential customer driving a vehicle with concerns existing about the high miles. They are carving a market segment to gain sales essentially through marketing from getting you to switch to their brand.....like Vanillla Coke which was discontinued today by the way...

The "High Mileage" oils usually have more ZDDP and detergency.

If you are using a premium convential oil or a synthetic blend or synthetic...you are "ahead of their marketing game".