Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Pro-Charger versus Vortech,  & the winner is? >

Pro-Charger versus Vortech, & the winner is?

Notices

Pro-Charger versus Vortech, & the winner is?

Old 11-19-2005, 06:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Pro-Charger versus Vortech, & the winner is?

Bryan,
Congrats on your decision, I think you should hit low to mid 80's with the right prop. You should have seen some of the threads here 4 years ago on this topic Hydraulic steering is a must but your stock drive will live as long as you dont hammer the throttle and do a lot of launches offshore. Let me know what your results are, when are you having it done?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INDY27
Bryan,
Congrats on your decision, I think you should hit low to mid 80's with the right prop. You should have seen some of the threads here 4 years ago on this topic Hydraulic steering is a must but your stock drive will live as long as you dont hammer the throttle and do a lot of launches offshore. Let me know what your results are, when are you having it done?
Getting things together now and expect to do it over the winter....I know for sure it will be done by the end of January...ZOOM ZOOM...
Old 11-19-2005, 12:06 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Are the Vortech's self contained?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Vortech's are fed engine oil and are mounted high enough to drain back into the valve cover. For short bursts of power I don't think it makes any difference, but for sustained throttle, self-contained gearcases will get hotter than oil fed gearcases.

You will need the 3.6 pulley to make about 720 HP. When that doesn't satisfy anymore you can buy our intercooler and make 800 HP with the same pulley. After that comes the 3.47 pulley and 63 lb/hr injectors for 900 HP!

Always happy to help.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:53 AM
GPM
Registered

I don't know anything about Vortech, I was just curious, we lost a bearing in an M4 and filled the oil pan with debree. It made a mess out of the engine bearings. 2 hp per cubic inch isn't that uncommon with the proper combination.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Registered

Hi GPM...and how fast was it spinning just before it blew?

On our twin blower system, both blowers and the gearcase to counter rotate them are fed engine oil. But we put a stainless steel screen in the oil drain block installed on the mechanical fuel pump boss.

No we don't use clear plastic hose without clamps; that was just so we could see the drains working and measuring individual flows.
Attached Thumbnails Pro-Charger versus Vortech,  & the winner is?-oil-drain-block.jpg  
Old 11-20-2005, 09:59 AM
GPM
Registered

Not sure of the blower speed, but the motor was around 2600 when it let go. He never wound his motor past 6000 rpm so I'm not sure what caused the problem. Some kind of filter on the return would be a big help.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomcat
Vortech's are fed engine oil and are mounted high enough to drain back into the valve cover. For short bursts of power I don't think it makes any difference, but for sustained throttle, self-contained gearcases will get hotter than oil fed gearcases.

You will need the 3.6 pulley to make about 720 HP. When that doesn't satisfy anymore you can buy our intercooler and make 800 HP with the same pulley. After that comes the 3.47 pulley and 63 lb/hr injectors for 900 HP!

Always happy to help.
Hey Tomcat,

How are you coming on the 502 MPI cooler?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Registered

I finished the 502MPI system last summer, but all the interest has been from the 525EFI guys so I have been focussing on it instead. And I got a bit sidetracked on the twin blower system...
Attached Thumbnails Pro-Charger versus Vortech,  & the winner is?-big-gun-front-angle.jpg  
Old 11-21-2005, 06:52 PM
GPM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Pro-Charger versus Vortech, & the winner is?

[QUOTE=tomcat]I finished the 502MPI system last summer, but all the interest has been from the 525EFI guys so I have been focussing on it instead. And I got a bit sidetracked on the twin blower system... :rolleyes[/QUO
TC, how's the project going, when do we get to see the big numbers?

Last edited by GPM; 11-21-2005 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Pro-Charger versus Vortech, & the winner is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.