Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Pro-Charger versus Vortech,  & the winner is? >

Pro-Charger versus Vortech, & the winner is?

Notices

Pro-Charger versus Vortech, & the winner is?

Old 11-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Pro-Charger versus Vortech, & the winner is?

We go to the dyno in December with the wedge head engine. Big Chief engine won't be until the end of January, based on availability of the new YSi blowers from Vortech. Thanks for your help on the cam discussion. I ended up ordering a custom grind with both less and more...if you know what I mean.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:33 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Sounds like a plan, Good Luck !

Last edited by GPM; 11-21-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:52 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

GPM,
You got me concerned about the M4....how reliable are they?
Since I've got your old M4.....should I replace the bearings as
a precautionary measure? Are Prochargers or Vortech less reliable
than roots type blowers.....I know turbos are very reliable...and
they are usually oil fed.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:44 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

CNC, we're not sure what caused the problem with my brothers M4, he was on his third season when it let loose. There was only 30 hours on the one I sold you. How was it after running it on the dyno, does Steve think there's a problem, he runs a lot of them doesn't he. If I was to add anything to an M4 it would be some kind of a filter on the oil return just in case.
Did you get your boat in the water this season?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC
GPM,
You got me concerned about the M4....how reliable are they?
Since I've got your old M4.....should I replace the bearings as
a precautionary measure? Are Prochargers or Vortech less reliable
than roots type blowers.....I know turbos are very reliable...and
they are usually oil fed.
I'm running a m-3 sc and spinning it almost 60 thousand rpm's (they reccomend 52,000) it has over 300 hours on it,haven't heard of many problems with prochargers and reliability. If it has alot of hours get it overhauled by ATI,Smitty
Old 07-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Rose
Getting things together now and expect to do it over the winter....I know for sure it will be done by the end of January...ZOOM ZOOM...
Bryan,
How did the Vortech work out for you?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I'm running a m-3 sc and spinning it almost 60 thousand rpm's (they reccomend 52,000) it has over 300 hours on it,haven't heard of many problems with prochargers and reliability. If it has alot of hours get it overhauled by ATI,Smitty
Same here Smitty...Been running this M3 oil fed unit for 5 years and well over 300 hours with no issues what so ever.
The R-Tech was added this year with very nice results. Same pulley 2-3 mph and 20-25* temp drop over a 504IC.

Reffering to an earlier comment: We monitor everything with wide band O2 and FAST ECU. Smooth as silk on a closed loop system. I'm sure the Vortech is as well.

Again: Setup is everything; the rest is pretty equal.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Pro-Charger versus Vortech,  & the winner is?-rtech_supercooled.jpg  
Old 07-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: Pro-Charger versus Vortech, & the winner is?

All right what do you guys recommend for a 510ci motor with a base hp at 647hp tq 627 9.5 to 1 comp, and a 502 550hp 8.75 to 1 comp carbed 850's for both B&Gs we want to add blowers this winter but not change comp. what hp can we add with this high of comp out of the 510 motor I'd be happy with a add 200 to 300 hp what do you think.?? thanks art
Old 07-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We hope to have good luck on the new mills with prochargers. We were impressed with prochargers service, as although they broke the molds or something to that extent for the single carb box, they got new molds built, and promised that if the boxes were not delivered in the time they promised(which they did arrive in) they would build the boxes themselves. Now we are to be finally taking one to the dyno to get tuned in. We were surprised how hard is was to find an engine dyno that had o2 sensors and air/fuel ratio. We were planning on using roots type, but because of the complex air intake built into the hatch on the revo we had to choose a centrifugal to fit nicely under the hatch. Our engine builder recommended procharger, and claimed to have been big in designing and testing the original ati marine systems. 555c.i., m-3 single carb intercooled, modified bg 750s.
just curious, is the rtech intercooler also the carb box? We have the 504 intercoolers from procharger, but after deciding to take the boat down to fl with the salt pretty often, we will probably be needing to replace the stock intercoolers within the next year or so(from what our engine builder claims). How long will the rtech intercooler last in saltwater? Do you have to retune the engine if you switch to the rtech, or can you just strap it on and go? We have had many boats in salt and flush everytime out. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Pro-Charger versus Vortech,  & the winner is?-picture-002.jpg  
Old 07-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Impeller disentegrated in supercharger today,not sure if a bearing that supports the shaft went allowing impeller to contact the housing or what but I'll know more tommorow and post pics,Smitty

Quick Reply: Pro-Charger versus Vortech, & the winner is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.