Triple Drives ? >

Triple Drives ?

Notices

Triple Drives ?

Old 11-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Triple Drives ?

42 Fountain 85-87 with staggered....same power with triples will be in the low to mid 90's.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Triple Drives ?

whats the engine displacement? fuel injected or carb? any other specs? pics of bilge? going from a twin to triple is a very costly mod (engine, complete drive system, lines for water, fuel etc, adding gagues to panel, steering, throttles, etc.) if you are looking for more speed you would be much better off doing some more extensive mods to the engines you already have. i would run a low boost small roots blower (177 weiand is great value) if your engines were carbureted, or centrifugal procharger in the case that your engines were fuel injected, maybe get around 575-600 horsepower each. i am not familiar with your drive system/strength, but that would be a much more cost effective way to gain speed.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Registered

Will the props hit the drives trimmed up
Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing screams old school bad a$$ better than triples.
Attached Thumbnails Triple Drives ?-k1h.jpg  
Old 09-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Three identical engines and outdrives on the same hull will go faster and burn more fuel than two of them. The efficiency of the combination does go DOWN though for each additional thing hanging in the water.

550hp is about all you can trust through a Bravo drive, so if you want more than 1100-1200 total hp on a boat with Bravos you go to triples. The most efficient way to go more than 1200 total would be to run stronger drives and stick with two engines, but you'll find a lot of larger 40' plus hulls with triples because of the availability issue. You can get a warranteed HP500 Bravo package and stick three of them in from the factory and still be hunky dory.

There are many ways to reach a similar goal.
Sometimes cost is a big factor, other times, efficiency and space utilization are more important than cost.

Twin 800's with #6 drives will be a faster boat than Triple 500's with Bravos. There will be more space in the engine compartment. The boat will weigh less and be less tail-heavy and handle better. The cost will probably be more for the twin 800/#6 boat than the trip 500/Bravo boat, too.

But like has been mentioned, if you plan to boat big water and be far away from dry land, a triple boat will usually still plane with two running engines (will definitely do so if you have spare props in lower pitches on board) while a twin boat with one dead motor will usually NOT allow you to plane. In bad water and bad weather, that can be the difference between being able to maneuver safely or be at the mercy of the water.

But yeah, more is always faster, but it's not always "best".

MC
Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered

I like this thread.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 520 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by iccuner1976
Hit what? If you are referring to waybomb's pic, I'm pretty sure his are in the trailered up.
Originally Posted by Flyin-Bryan
I like this thread.
Me too Almost seven years since the last post
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by iccuner1976
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume your asking if a prop 1 on drive 1 will hit the drive when you trim it up... the answer is no. Unless something breaks, and breaks a lot.

If your asking if prop 1 will hit drive 2 or 3, again something would have to break a lot. The drives move left and right together (not independently) and the props move up and down with the associated drives (not independently) although each drive will move up and down (with the associated prop) independently of the others. Usually, they all (drives) move together and then are independently "tweeked" to optimize performance for water conditions.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Go twins.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a tripple boat with a broken tie bar once. Lots of expensive damage. The center drive is guided by tie bars while the steering rams are connected to the outside drives.

Quick Reply: Triple Drives ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.