Notices

jesel shaft rocker system ?????experiences

Old 11-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 861 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Re: jesel shaft rocker system ?????experiences

Originally Posted by GPM
The Jesels fit under the stock valve covers with the stock gaskets. There's nothing better than shaft rockers, even if you don't think you need them.
With the problems I started out with this season I DO need them,thanks Gary,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails jesel shaft rocker system ?????experiences-truck-rearend-003.jpg   jesel shaft rocker system ?????experiences-truck-rearend-004.jpg  
Old 11-22-2005, 06:53 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

What wall thickness push rods are you running?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm switching to them also.

The pushrod geometry of the Big Block is poor at best. Most guys running Dart heads have to modify the guide plates to prevent the pushrods from rubbing on them under no load, so under load there has to be a pushrod rubbing somewhere. I had (2) Crane Gold Rollers come off the push rods several years ago. And never want to see that happen again.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GPM
What wall thickness push rods are you running?
.083 wall,the problem I had was on 3 seperate occasions the rocker nuts cracked below the adjuster hex and backed off allowing puchrod/lifter/guideplate damage. Everyone tells me I am tightening the nuts too tight BUT I have built at least 50 motors with adjustable rockers and I had one nut crack once 5 years ago on cheap imported harland sharp rockers. I never had a crane gold nut or even a mr gasket poly lock ever crack,seems strange that 3 nuts cracked within first 15 hours of running this motor (they were all comp pro-magnum nuts). Swapped them all to ARP nuts that were actually thinner where the cracks were occuring and haven't had a problem since. I am done with comp anything as there is a pattern of failure there. I am only running about 190 psi seat/450 open with hydraulic roller,less than 6000 rpm's and barely over .600 lift,Smitty
Old 11-22-2005, 07:23 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Smitty,
Would you happen to have the ARP Part # for those adjuster nuts? I am running Comp Pro Magnum rockers on my 540. I dont want to have the same problem as you did.

vinny
Old 11-22-2005, 07:29 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Smitty, I didn't have very good luck with Comp's springs or rockers, I like their solid roller cams.

Last edited by GPM; 11-25-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
Smitty,
Would you happen to have the ARP Part # for those adjuster nuts? I am running Comp Pro Magnum rockers on my 540. I dont want to have the same problem as you did.

vinny
Arp part # 300-8245-they have the shank reduced to .550 to fit the comp rockers.49.95$ in the comp products catalog. If I knew these were available I would have bought them after the second nut cracked. The first nut cracked on dyno and didn't hurt anything (didn't even know it until afterwards). The second one cracked and backed off on lk michigan on sunday after SOTW,bent a pushrod,no other damage. The 3rd one broke on vacation on lk winni,wasted pushrod,lifter,guideplate. Spent second 1/2 of vacation watching boats from shore!! I tore motor down to lifters in the boat as soon as I got home,over night aired a lifter set,pushrod and assorted parts and had it running in time to watch the port huron races from the water 2 days later. Motor ran flawlessly for 9 weekends in a row after that other than one broken lower xr gearset and wasted bearings. I am planning on jesels for next year to prevent problems,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails jesel shaft rocker system ?????experiences-truck-rearend-004.jpg  
Old 11-22-2005, 08:07 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Thanks Smitty
Old 11-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
I'm switching to them also.

The pushrod geometry of the Big Block is poor at best.
That's what I always hear....the weakest link in a big block Chevy is the valve train. The old stud mount rocker arm system is an outdated design from the 1960's.....yes, it still works fine, but if you can afford to do it, the much better, more stable way to go is the shaft mount system either from Jesel or T&D....no pushrod guide plates, no studs to flex, no stud girdles needed.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Registered

083 wall,the problem I had was on 3 seperate occasions the rocker nuts cracked below the adjuster hex and backed off allowing puchrod/lifter/guideplate damage. Everyone tells me I am tightening the nuts too tight BUT I have built at least 50 motors with adjustable rockers and I had one nut crack once 5 years ago on cheap imported harland sharp rockers. I never had a crane gold nut or even a mr gasket poly lock ever crack,seems strange that 3 nuts cracked within first 15 hours of running this motor (they were all comp pro-magnum nuts). Swapped them all to ARP nuts that were actually thinner where the cracks were occuring and haven't had a problem since. I am done with comp anything as there is a pattern of failure there. I am only running about 190 psi seat/450 open with hydraulic roller,less than 6000 rpm's and barely over .600 lift,Smitty

Wow. sounds like a lot of spring psi for a hydraulic roller cam. 190 over the nose is more than I would like to see on a hydraulic roller cam that is running only 6000rpms. However, that is just me. Thanks Cam-shaft.

Quick Reply: jesel shaft rocker system ?????experiences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.