Notices

antifreeze

Old 11-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default antifreeze

Has anyone ever winterizes with R.V., antifreeze rather than auto antifreeze, I realize you can't run it in a raditator but just for the winter in the blocks

thks Joe
Old 11-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Re: antifreeze

I just read formulafastec's thread and I winterized almost same way, started motors till thermostats opened, hooked up my pump with R.V., antifreeze in it, let motors run till I seen good colour, put large drum under drives let circulate till reached 190. Same for other.
This is what I am curios about, I usually use auto antifreeze but very hard to clean up and expensive, this is my first time with R.V., I kept some of the solution fro km my barrel left it out last night and it started to freeze , not solid but slushy. I got very worried and rushed to the barn and put a heater in motor compartment and was going to use auto antifreeze this weekend, but then I thought maybee this is a characteristic of R.V., antifreeze.I now put solution in my deep freezer at home to see if it would freeze solid, it goes down to 0. Any input would be appreciated

thanks Joe
Old 11-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder what the reasoning is with not being able to use it in your car because of the radiator.... aluminum?? I was going to use that stuff this yr also until all of them had the same warning. So just used the reg. auto freeze as in the previous yrs.
Have also read the RV stuff gets slushy when freezes, not solid. Guess that is the charcteristic of it??

How about windshield washer fluid at .89/gal.?

On that note, a buddy has used the RV stuff for yrs for his boats and boats that he does winterize for friends and never an issue.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks for reply but i'm nervous as hell about it .I am in mechanical busyness for years and use same stuff for year in winterizing cottages and never had and issue, but never realy looked to see what it does. Good point on windsheild washer fluid it never goes slushy under the hood why not use it

thnks again Joe
Old 11-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just read a link on the marine RV antifreeze.
One point mentioned was the RV engine antifreeze was to be used only as an anti freeze for storage, not as an antifreeze/coolant for everyday use. Possibly that is the only reasoning for the 'not to be used in radiators' warning, knowing some people will try to use it instead of the regular higher priced antifreeze in their cars. Maybe it has no cooling capabilties, hense the warning? As far as rust inhibitors, as long as the block is full, even of water....no air, it is protected.
Hmmmm. I think I will use this pink stuff next yr now.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

The RV stuff I've always used claims to be good to -50. I never had a problem. Where I live, it's not ever going to get close to those temps anyway. Ontario?, I guess it is possible. I've seen other RV stuff that claims to be good to -100.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

been using it for 20 yrs, never had a problem. Its no good for vehicle cooling system because there are no rust inhibitors, no seal lubricants, no silicates etc. it is antifreeze, not coolant.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JMPH
Thanks for reply but i'm nervous as hell about it .I am in mechanical busyness for years and use same stuff for year in winterizing cottages and never had and issue, but never realy looked to see what it does. Good point on windsheild washer fluid it never goes slushy under the hood why not use it

thnks again Joe
JMPH, the MerCruiser manual recommended a "environmentally safe and non-toxic antifreeze" which, to my knowledge, the only stuff out there like that is the RV type. This recommendation makes sense to use the non-toxic type since it ends up in the lake or on the ground the next boating season.

I used "Super Tech RV & Marine antifreeze" (bought it at Wal-Mart. On the bottle it states "safe to brass, mild steel, copper and all plastics (except acetate). Super Tech propylen glycol antifreeze is formulated to protect to -50°F burst temperature although some slush formula is normal." It also contains a corrosion inhibitor, which I believe windshield washer fluid does not.

Also, I have seen boat engine winterizing kits for sale (large containers with a valve that gravity feeds to the muffs) and they recommend and sell the RV antifreeze to be used with the kit.

You have nothing to worry about. It would have to get down to -50°F for this stuff to freeze solid enough to cause any problems. At least I know it will never get that cold in Missouri.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I wonder what the reasoning is with not being able to use it in your car because of the radiator.... aluminum?? I was going to use that stuff this yr also until all of them had the same warning. So just used the reg. auto freeze as in the previous yrs.
Have also read the RV stuff gets slushy when freezes, not solid. Guess that is the charcteristic of it??

How about windshield washer fluid at .89/gal.?

On that note, a buddy has used the RV stuff for yrs for his boats and boats that he does winterize for friends and never an issue.
My guess is the reason it is not recommended for automotive cooling systems is that RV antifreeze does not raise the boiling point of the fluid like normal car antifreeze does.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks guy's for all the input, I was worried sick, I sold the boat to my friend and serviced and winterized it for him before storing it for him.
Another reason you could not use R.V., in auto because it does get slushy and probably would damage waterpump.

thanks again Joe

Quick Reply: antifreeze

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.