Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone heard/have experience with this engine builder? >

Anyone heard/have experience with this engine builder?

Notices

Anyone heard/have experience with this engine builder?

Old 11-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone heard/have experience with this engine builder?

you can get a brand new general motors crate 454 minus carb for well under 5, so in theory it shouldnt cost much difference for marine complete with carb.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW under $5000 for a brand new GM 454 motor making 500hp . Ill take 2.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z.zuperboat
WOW under $5000 for a brand new GM 454 motor making 500hp . Ill take 2.
Am I missing something here?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Registered

Real Motors Cost Real Money If You Want To Go Canal Cruizing Go To Gm
Old 12-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiteknuckle
Interesting! I would like to know compression ratio, and some torque figures. Also, what are the composition of the valves? What kind of pushrods, rocker arms, fasteners, i.e rod and main bolts? I would expect a healthy 454 to be in the 450-460 HP range. It may be a good deal and a great engine, just be careful, you just need to ask alot of questions, and the last comment, how far away is the builder from where you live? I consider that a big factor unless it is someone very famous.
Yeah to what Whiteknuckle said.

Also, Has anyone used a "GM crate engine" right out of the crate, and installed it in a boat for marine use with any success?

I have always heard that if you plan on using a crate engine for marine use that it's best to take it apart and check all the bearings and have them clearenced for marine application engine---same goes for the rings. I don't always trust everything the way it comes from the factory so, if I have to take it all apart and check their work, then I might as well have it built properly for marine use by a precion machine shop that is familiar with hi-perf engines destined for marine offshore use----and a shop that also has a good reputation for making them stay together so they don't come apart. I am not so sure I would trust a factory crate engine just because it's new, and comes from the factory. Of course that's just my own .02, but it's at least worth thinking about.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Yeah to what Whiteknuckle said.

Also, Has anyone used a "GM crate engine" right out of the crate, and installed it in a boat for marine use with any success?

I have always heard that if you plan on using a crate engine for marine use that it's best to take it apart and check all the bearings and have them clearenced for marine application engine---same goes for the rings. I don't always trust everything the way it comes from the factory so, if I have to take it all apart and check their work, then I might as well have it built properly for marine use by a precion machine shop that is familiar with hi-perf engines destined for marine offshore use----and a shop that also has a good reputation for making them stay together so they don't come apart. I am not so sure I would trust a factory crate engine just because it's new, and comes from the factory. Of course that's just my own .02, but it's at least worth thinking about.
Keep in mind though a "crate 454 h.o" IS IDENTICAL other than camshaft and oil cooler bypass valves to a 454 mag long block. Same pistons,rings,lifters,valves,springs,CLEARENCES,ma chined on same exact machinery,same gaskets,oil pump,bearings,fasteners etc,Smitty
Old 12-03-2005, 06:47 AM
Registered

Smitty how much is a new 454ho $ ? Then How much to have someone go thru it $ ? Then how much HP are you getting ? Round numbers would be great. I know my guy get $1000 for labor without any machine work.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Keep in mind though a "crate 454 h.o" IS IDENTICAL other than camshaft and oil cooler bypass valves to a 454 mag long block. Same pistons,rings,lifters,valves,springs,CLEARENCES,ma chined on same exact machinery,same gaskets,oil pump,bearings,fasteners etc,Smitty
I have been waiting for some one to bring up this point! I was a trainer for GM back in the STG days then moved to Melior to do there fleet training. I have used 3 create motors 2 502/502 in Jet boat applications. One was sold after a year, one was sold after 5 hard seasons on it. Both sold in the boat they where originally purchased for.

Even though I was not part of it I was told from numerous people involved that most of GM performance motors R&D was done in conjunction with Mercury. I now have a 502short block that was a GMPP that had a cam change and a set of Edelbrock heads set for marine use. I will tell you I do agree that you are rolling the dice if you trust a mass produced performance motor. But so far I have had a good track record with them.

Now lets talk about the $25k I spent with B&B performance out of Redding CA for a blower motor (I supplied the blower. A 871 set up). That was a joke. My JE pistons turned out to be SRP’s , Cola crank was a Scat, and my Manely rods where eagles. So lesson learned. I used this company because of some good recommendations. To fix this mess I used a well known shop to the NJBA’er DNE Motorsports in Costa Mesa CA. So its all in who you trust.

Last edited by Mike&Paula; 12-03-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends

Same situation with the Merc 496's, right? Plus they are running hyper, not cast pistions, right?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Registered

I can’t tell you about the 496's but my 502 block has Forged Aluminum. I have never been a fan of Hype-pathetic pistons after a set of Sterling’s we put in a low hp 454 has the pin boss break off. but do know a lot of builders have used them with good success

Quick Reply: Anyone heard/have experience with this engine builder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.