Donzi ZX speaker replacement >

Donzi ZX speaker replacement

Notices

Donzi ZX speaker replacement

Old 12-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donzi ZX speaker replacement

I am in the beginning phases of replacing all my cockpit speakers including subs in my 38ZX. I don't know where to begin. I want to replace the two 10 inch subs with something with a better sound, hopefully I can build some type of an enclosure so that I don't have to run open air subs. I also have 4-6.5's in the cockpit to replace. What should I replace this setup with that has a really good sound and some outdoor weather resistance?

Corey
Old 12-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Donzi ZX speaker replacement

First of all DON'T buy anything from one those online "flea markets". Half the time the stuff is counterfeit or stolen. Companies like Rockford Fosgate, MTX, JBL, Kicker and JL Audio have Marine speakers that are very weatherproof. The subs they offer for this type of setup are usually freeair but you can still use regular type subs. First of all, can you post some pics of the current speaker placement? I'll help you get started on the little guys and then deal with the subs. Just have a basic idea of what you want to do and how much you're willing to spend. Do you want a good sounding system or do you want a Sonic Laxative Generator???
Old 12-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Registered

I'll try and get some pics taken tomorrow. The 6.5's are pretty easy. They are mounted in a pod so to speak and should just be a direct replacement, but the subs wont. I don't want anymore free-air subs, as they don't seem to pack the low end bass that I like. I'll get some pics up in the next day or so.

I don't want to spend a whole lot yet, I would like to start with 1grand and see what that'll get me, then I can adjust my budget and or expectations from there.

Thanks
Corey
Old 12-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Registered

For the 6.5's get a couple sets of MB Quart Mobil 160.19 Nautic. They are last years model and much better since this years is a new design after MB got bought out.

I put 4 of these in my Sunsation and they are fantastic
Old 12-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll wait for the pics. Want to determine if co-axials, component or little of both will work for you. As far as the subs go, 1000 dollars will be tough, this stuff is not cheap but there are ways to do it so it won't cost 20 grand. I can understand the frustration with free-air or infinite baffle speakers. Their bonus is the ease of installation and the weight. A serious 10" sub will require a very well built cabinet and the sub itself can weigh up to 100 pounds and require 1000 watts to drive it and that's just one speaker! If you're using free air right now in your bench seat, one thing that will help them is to stuff that bench seat full of stuff like live vests and so on. That will lower the air volume and help control the speakers a little more, but then again most free airs cannot take a lot of power, hence the lack of punch. I know waiting is involved, but you might want to buy your stuff in stages with the goal that you'll never have to come back and do this again!!! Let me know, glad to help.