Drive Shaving >

Drive Shaving

Notices

Drive Shaving

Old 12-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Shaving

Does anyone know what shavings on the outdrive fill screw are a sign of? I was changing my Gear Fluid this weekend on a Bravo1 and noticed some shavings on the fill screw Plug. I'm thinking it's a bearing or worse shaft problems. Any Ideas?

I would like to fix it myself before bringing it in to the shop, but don't want to get in over my head either...
Old 12-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Registered

Default Re: Drive Shaving

shaft, gear, bearings...sure, could be any one or all of the above...seen it all...chances are it gear. building drives requires both specialized tools and know how.

where do you live?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:24 PM
LarryD

well it depends if this is the first time you have changed your drive oil alittle metal is normal a small amount is normal between changes but if it is a big glob of metal or if the oil looks or smells burnt you may have issues, the gears mesh and some metal gets ground off also bearings can wear shafts usually just bend or break look at the oil dump in a rag or paper towel look for glitter if present take drive apart ( have it taken appart by a qualified mechanic)

Old 12-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Registered

real simple answer if you have shavings then you have some problems, as stated above you need to have someone dissaseble, clean and inspect the unit to see what the damage is and what caused it...

no offence but

I have had more customers then I care to think about bring me drives in boxes and all butchered up and say to me well I thought I could do it.....

in most cases unless you have the proper tools and equipment and training you are better off just walking away because if you do mess somthing up it can get VERY expensive
Attached Thumbnails Drive Shaving-logo1111.jpg  
Old 12-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Registered

I just bought the boat so this is the first time changing it. It has a round 500hrs on twin 502's with the Bravo1's The fluid is clean, blue/black looks and smells fresh except for the shavings. It is very little, almost like the screw is magnatised. Didn't notice any problems during seatrial, but you never know...

Do you think by just changing the fluid and running it i'll be ok?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Registered

your on borrowed time at this point...the screw is a mag.

take the top cap and back cap off...have a look.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the shavings and rub them between your finger and thunb. If its just like ink and leaves a mark but you can't feel anything then it's ok. If you can feel lumps or slivers then something is coming apart.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryD
if the oil looks or smells burnt you may have issues,
I know gear oil stinks to begin with but when I drained my drive this fall the gear oil was REAL stinky. What causes this?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Take the shavings and rub them between your finger and thunb. If its just like ink and leaves a mark but you can't feel anything then it's ok. If you can feel lumps or slivers then something is coming apart.
That's the best post on this thread. I've changed drive fluid many,many times and can't recall one time that there wasn't a little "fuzz" on the magnetic drainplug. No chunks...you'll be fine.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
I second that. The magnet always picks something up. Now it's the size that counts.