Extruded Honed?

Notices

Extruded Honed?

Old 12-22-2005, 07:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Extruded Honed?

Since we are on the subject of intakes and such, I dragged up an old thread of mine...
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...light=AZ+Speed
I tried to take some pictures but the batteries in my camera were dead.
So do any of you fellows thick I should swap my Merc. intake out for the AZ Speed intake for this coming season?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
Since we are on the subject of intakes and such, I dragged up an old thread of mine...
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...light=AZ+Speed
I tried to take some pictures but the batteries in my camera were dead.
So do any of you fellows thick I should swap my Merc. intake out for the AZ Speed intake for this coming season?

Other than money what else do you have to loose?

Last edited by Outdrive1; 12-22-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:40 AM
MOP
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
fountainatlast...
do you really belive that knocking the casting flash off the inside of your intake manifold bought you almost 8 % more power... really ?

having built, perhaps, 600 motors of every type i think i can say that thats simply not going to happen unless somebody at merc forgot a ratchet handle in there or something when it was first built. realistically, the extrude honing in my experience has been worth less than one percent on manifolds run back to back...before and after. it does, in fact knock the sharp edges off and tend to open cross sectional areas that are smaller than adjacent ones but that is NOT neccessarilly a good thing. intake manifold VELOCITY if much more important than volume... and shape is the absolute key to performance... and i can tell you authoratatively that a while a mirror finish on the inside of an intake port or intake manifold will FLOW bigger numbers it will not make as much hp as the very same manifold with a mat ( bead blasted) surface. the slight grain on the surface tends to keep the fuel in suspension making the mixture better as opposed to the mirror finish which tends to promote separation ....

it is important in engine building to think combination and package... NOT magic bean. there are no magic beans. and combination is everything... take a nice clean sharp 450 hp motor and put a bigger cam in it without changing anything else and all you will do is make less power and use more fuel.

and think about it for a second.... merc is in the business of selling you stuff.... do think for an INSTANT that if they could extrude hone their intakes and make 30 hp that you wouldn't see that in full page ads as far as the eye can see ?

sorry... no easter bunny, no tooth fairy and no free 30 hp.
Your note on Polished "vs" Mat was proved to me many years back by Jack Merkel, I spent weeks reworking a set of camel back small block heads. I took them to Merkels shop to have them flow checked to see how I did, he took one look and started laughing. I had polished almost mirror finish, he took a flexi rough hone and ran it it in one port, he flowed it and one of mine. The results were that the mirror port showed numbers not much better then a stock port while the roughed one did great. To be honest this baffled me at first, then he made sketch and explained that as a charge flows over a mirror surface it tends to bounce which cause a flow restriction. In a mat port the rough surface hold the flow tight to the walls allowing far more flow. He roughed all the ports and made a minor change in the bowls to disturb the flow just before it hit the vavle, A few $$ later I had a set of great heads.

Phil
Old 12-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
Change your oil every 25 hours, use a good filter and good oil. If you don't use Merc stuff I like the 20/50 v-twin Mobil 1. You can do your drive at 50 hour intervals, along with your fuel filter/seperator and impeller.

cases of mobil 1 on the way even as we speak.... and appreciate interval advice.... trying to get a handle on that now... and by impeller...you mean the raw water impeller ?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by stevesxm
cases of mobil 1 on the way even as we speak.... and appreciate interval advice.... trying to get a handle on that now... and by impeller...you mean the raw water impeller ?

Yes, sea pump impeller.