Notices

Pressure testing ex manifolds

Old 12-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pressure testing ex manifolds

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I had to cut off and weld on new lower fittings on the manifolds I bought, do to them being coroded thru in spots. Want to check the welds before off to the powdercoater. Do you have the aluminum risors?
No, I have SS risers and these manifolds and risers were new in the spring.

I truly think the moisture I'm getting in that one is due to a slight restriction after the water outlet from the riser, flowing into the Corsa. I'm going up now to pressure test with a water hose, then pull that boot and cut the rubber "ridge" out of the boot so the water can flow straight out into the Corsa without anything in the way causing a disruption in flow. I'm wondering if it's at idle, on the muffs, that's it's reverting slightly because of the water bouncing around at that joint.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SR Jim,

Is this what your risors look like?(the SS ones) If possible, would you mind getting a couple measurements for me if you have access to the outlet end of the risors? Having trouble getting them elsewhere.

I need the ID dim. of the outlet nozzle and also the length of the nozzle that extends past the water outlet holes at the ends. Mine (black alum.) do not have this nozzle and I need to add them on.

Thanks

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 550 Posts

If you can rig it properly the best test you can do by yourself would be a helium test underwater. Helium has a smaller molecular/atomic size then water or air...(its the second smallest atom). The helium leak rates will be more than, say, water or even air. However, helium leak detection requires a very sensitive "sniffer" whereas water is pretty easy to detect. Thus putting the item undwerwater would help detect the gas without the "sniffer"

But for our purposes i would just get an air line and put a regulated 40 or so psi in the manifold and let it sit underwtare over night and see if you have any leakes in the morning...maybe even do a overnight leak down test if you have the tools for it. Oh and i think i would put it in hot water......you want to try and simulate the metal being at working temps as much as possible to see if any cracks that me be closed when cold open up as the manifold expands!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
SR Jim,

Is this what your risors look like?(the SS ones) If possible, would you mind getting a couple measurements for me if you have access to the outlet end of the risors? Having trouble getting them elsewhere.

I need the ID dim. of the outlet nozzle and also the length of the nozzle that extends past the water outlet holes at the ends. Mine (black alum.) do not have this nozzle and I need to add them on.

Thanks
By the time you posted this I had already been to the boat and back! But ye, the SS on the left are what mine look like, although mine are taller.

I'll try to give you ballpark #'s, best I can. I do have the riser off, and I pulled the boot off so I could see how the riser was sliding into it and how much restriction my boot is causing the water flow out of the riser.

The riser is about 4" overall OD. I'd say the water outlet is about 1/4" to 3/8" so the "inner pipe" or nozzle as you call it, is going to be about 3 1/4" to 3 1/2". It's probably a 1/8" walled pipe so you can do the math for the ID.

I'm not sure when I'll be back at the boat, or if it will even be this week. If it is, I'll get exact measurments.

I did pressure test and was able to get pretty good pressure (from a hose) on it. Everything seems fine. Even the ridge inside the boot is actually not blocking the water outlet ports like it appeared to be, but they still could be causing a disruption in water flow, splashing it around. Who knows. I'm going to replace that just to make sure. Since the risers are such a breeze to pull off, I can keep an eye on it. At least it appears no water is getting in there from the manifold or riser.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We test manifolds at 60 PSI for 10-15 minutes. The water jacket is pressurized and the header tubes are filled with water. If no signs of air bubbles occur, you are in good shape.

Dean Gellner
Old 12-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I plugged 3 of holes and air to remaining hole at 60psi. Placed manifold in a bucket of water. Got some bubbles out of 2 of the manifolds where the outer case is welded to the exhaust flanges. No air bubbles from the inside.
Going back to the welder, then retest.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:41 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

502 HEAD COOLING WATER SEEPAGE FROM HIGH WATER PRESSURE. Replying to MOP's old post about the PRV's on cooling water pressure.

These PRV's from Mercury Racing are an engine saver. Expensive but worth every penny.
After reading for a long time on OSO on a lot of articles about 502 head leaks there was one knowledgeble gentlemen that had been around for awhile and said if you are running more than about 20 or 25psi that you would most likely see corrosion/leakage on the outboard side of the heads. Sure enough, i had both heads both motors with corrosion at the gasket and rust on the block below the gasket line.

Bought these PRV's from Mercury and ALL of the seepage stopped completely. Thanks for this one gentlemen's comments. Wish i could remember i would thank him. These PRV's have never stopped up or failed to hold exact pressure.

I actually went out and found a lighter spring that fit, and ground the OD a little bit more to reduce the set pressure on the factory Merc PRV from 30psi to 15psi. The blockpressure runs higher though. - was actually about 5psi higher i presume from the circulating pump at higher rpm.

Ended up with about 20psi in the block which is where i wanted. It.

I guess with much bigger power, you might need a small amount higher pressure to prevent hot spots, but I have never had any issues at 20psi, and no more corrosion/seeping heads.

Last edited by Cap'm Kurt; 06-22-2018 at 05:41 PM.