Boat Battery >

Boat Battery

Notices

Boat Battery

Old 12-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Battery

Being that it is winter and I have nothing better to do but research what batteries I will use to replace my old ones with I came across the AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries. Has anyone used these? In an article I read they stated that AGM batteries are as good as the Gel style batteries if not better. They cost about the same, but the thing that caught my eye was they offer them in the same physical size as my existing deep cycle battery which means I don't have to replace my battery box like you have to if you go to a Gel style. Please voice opinions.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Boat Battery

I too am looking into batteries. Mine need replaced in the spring. I am not sure which to go with. Any info is great.

I do have questions if I go with gel batteries. Can I use my current battery charger/inverter? I have the impression that gel batteries need a special kind of charger.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a pair of blue top optima's, 4 years old and seem to hold their charge very well. Cranks right up after 4 months storage and no charging. Run em in the race cars also. Don't think I will buy anything else for a while.

They will fit in most battery holders, but the ones designed for Optimas are a better fit.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=112951

Check out this link, these are very lightweight if weight saving is important to you. If you go to the Odyssey website, they also offer nice boxes.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Registered

Yep, The ODYSSEY battery is the way to go if you want to keep the boat for a few years without problems in that area. Not cheap, but worth every penny!! --- Jer

Last edited by jpclear; 01-19-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

I have Odessy's before, I have Optima's now, I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Optima blue tops are at Costco for about 150, nobody can touch that price, not even interstate dealers. Best thing about Costco is that they don't have a battery tester so you can get a refund every year and purchase new ones.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. Not sure if I want to afford the odessy battery, but I may look further into other AGM batteries.

Bill
Old 01-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 134 Likes on 48 Posts

I've been using the spiral batterys from NAPA. Not sure who builds them. I've had a set in my CTD Dodge for 4 1/2 years, and the still crank as good as new. I have one in my 68 Charger, in the trunk, I used to replace that battery every year due to sitting all winter(on trickle charger) and the vibration from drag racing, that one is 3 years old and can sit for months and still fire up a 12.5:1 Hemi no problem. I have two in the boat and have had no trouble in two seasons, lots of air time, lots of sitting with the radio on, and never any trouble starting. I've even killed them dead, recharged them and they are fine. You should read the mfg specs on recharging though, be sure you have the correct type of charger. Most new battery chargers will have a switch for lead-acid/AGM. I'm sold on these batterys.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

I use plain old Sears Diehards. For one reason is they happen to fit my battery box without the terminals touching the top metal part. They are $60, I replace them every 2 years. Never had a problem with them. My boat is subject to SEVERE poundings on a regular basis.
Attached Thumbnails Boat Battery-2005_1002_163918aa.jpg  
Old 01-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the Optima Blue Tops are my number one choice also. We have raced offshore with these batteries for years and they are very durable. Trouble free and they last!

Quick Reply: Boat Battery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.