Help with Big Block Heads >

Help with Big Block Heads

Notices

Help with Big Block Heads

Old 01-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with Big Block Heads

I am tearing down my 1995 502 Mag MPI and here are what the heads looked like. Are heads supposed to have the large holes in them as shown or is this rot? If this is rot, are these heads salvageable or are they garbage? Also, I had two bent pushrods.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Help with Big Block Heads-img_0462.jpg   Help with Big Block Heads-img_0463.jpg  
Old 01-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Help with Big Block Heads

Originally Posted by IHTFP
I am tearing down my 1995 502 Mag MPI and here are what the heads looked like. Are heads supposed to have the large holes in them as shown or is this rot? If this is rot, are these heads salvageable or are they garbage? Also, I had two bent pushrods.

Thanks
Thats part of the casting.Nothing to worry about.The pushrods bent is of concern.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to sound like a smarta$$, but if you didn't know that those were supposed to be there( and they are) you might want to make sure somebody is helping you with the rebuild. Its obvious this must be your first time doing this.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:29 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MonkeySpanker,

That is why I'm asking the question on this forum. Taking a head off of an engine isn't brain surgery (I was actually successful on my first try), and I suspect, but can't confirm yet, that putting it back on isn't brain surgery either. My simple comparision between engine building and brain surgery is based on the fact that I was in the bookstore the other day and found some books on how to dissasemble and reassemble Chevy Big Blocks, but I couldn't find any books on brain surgery. I only live 180 miles from you so feel free to stop by anytime and help me. I can't afford the $90 an hour rate for a pro to do it for me, but I can pay you with pizza and beer.

Last edited by IHTFP; 01-04-2006 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can completely understand wanting/ needing to do it yourself. However, I have found that when I make a mistake it can get very expensive to fix. Not to mention lost boating time and frustation. Gather as much info and talk to as many people as you can. You need to find out why those push rods bent. On a stock engine that rarely just happens.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Registered

How far are you tearing it down, and what are you looking to do to it? Too bad you didn't do this while I was working down at Peach Bottom Powerplant. I spent many a days after work just laying out on the boat. Hell, my stepsons dad is living in columbia. Best crab alfredo I ever had was at K.B. TUGS in Port Deposit MD. Sucks to launch there though, seaweed from hell.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IHTFP
but I couldn't find any books on brain surgery.
Man I just picked a book last week, with any luck my wifes tranfomation will be complete tonight...
Old 01-05-2006, 05:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
I don't want to sound like a smarta$$, but if you didn't know that those were supposed to be there( and they are) you might want to make sure somebody is helping you with the rebuild. Its obvious this must be your first time doing this.
IHTFP,

I been in your shoes and I know exactly where your coming from when it comes to $$. Your already a step ahead by learning to do it yourself. I just rebuilt my 502 myself and made a few learning mistakes at first and was quite costly but it was education well spent.

To me there is never such thing as a stupid question. Just think about how relief you were to hear that your head was normal instead of just wondering. That's just my 2 cents....
Old 01-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINATLAST
Man I just picked a book last week, with any luck my wifes tranfomation will be complete tonight...
lol
Old 01-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go for it!! Thats the only way to learn is Hands on..Just remember the book doesn't tell ya everything and thats what this board is for ask away.

I have a buddy thats a pharmacist that I showed how to take it apart and I let him put it back together .All I had to do was set his timing.Some people will surprise ya.

rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.