Programmable knock control systems >

Programmable knock control systems

Notices

Programmable knock control systems

Old 01-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Programmable knock control systems

Price-wise, I think they run about the same.

The Anson is a knock gauge.

The J&S is an ignition module with rev limiter, a knock detector that retards only the knocking cylinders, and a boost retard unit, all in one.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:21 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

John, if I want to let my existing MSD box handle spark and rev limiting, let the Fast ECU handle the start up and boost retard, is there a marine compatable unit that will cover the knock retard. Just in case I push the motor a little to hard, get some bad gas, or anything else that could cause the motor to detinate. I hate to spend the money on the marine unit and not need, or use all of the features.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Registered

GPM:

If you don't go near salt water, you could use our automotive V.O. This unit is not totally sealed, and it deletes the onboard two bar MAP sensor and boost retard software.

This unit will need an input from the FAST's MAP signal wire. Note that the unit uses load, RPM, crank position, and background noise level to screen for knock.

We recommend our V.1 unit for carbureted engines, since it includes the two bar MAP sensor. Without it, the unit would have no way to sense load.

Some car guys "cheap out" and get the V.0 unit anyway, and simply tie the wire that would normally connect to an external MAP sensor to 5v, simulating high engine load, enabling the knock detector.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:57 PM
GPM
Registered

John, does the V.1 require a crank signal also?
Old 01-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Registered

Gary:

Both versions get crank angle information from the ignition system. No need to install a separate crank trigger.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi John,Heard you were snoozin.........We'll give your system a try.Please ship as soon as you can. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:53 PM
GPM
Registered

Originally Posted by John_at_J&S
GPM:

If you don't go near salt water, you could use our automotive V.O. This unit is not totally sealed, and it deletes the onboard two bar MAP sensor and boost retard software.

This unit will need an input from the FAST's MAP signal wire. Note that the unit uses load, RPM, crank position, and background noise level to screen for knock.

We recommend our V.1 unit for carbureted engines, since it includes the two bar MAP sensor. Without it, the unit would have no way to sense load.

Some car guys "cheap out" and get the V.0 unit anyway, and simply tie the wire that would normally connect to an external MAP sensor to 5v, simulating high engine load, enabling the knock detector.
John, is the V.1 sealed for marine use?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Registered

GPM:

The automotive units cannot be fully sealed. There are switches, control knobs, and connectors on the front panel, with exposed solder joints, etc.

In the marine units, the electronics are basically in a can filled with epoxy.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Registered

CcanDo:

That evaluation unit will ship to LB on Friday or Saturday.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Registered

Hey John at J&S, what a coincidence I was mentioning this product on a thread at Hotboat.com under blower motors, topic is turbo motor timing. Maybe you can sign on over there, and shed some light on how effective this product is? I run a carb'd Whipple HP500(currently with a HI-6M) and was looking at your product pretty closely. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by HP350SC; 01-26-2006 at 11:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Programmable knock control systems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.