Notices

Programmable knock control systems

Old 02-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Programmable knock control systems

Originally Posted by John_at_J&S
That sensor is "non resonant", meaning that it's not tuned to a particular frequency. It responds to all frequencies, up to about 20kHz.

The filtering is done electronically, inside the Mercruiser ECU. This way, manufacturers need to stock only one sensor, but they need to customize the electronics for each application.
John,

Thanks indeed for that clarification!

What GM sensor part number, what additional hardware would I need and where would I need to install it if I wanted to add a correctly tuned knock sensor to my 496HO block?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

John,

Will the J&S unit work with the Mercruiser "non-resonant frequency" knock sensors (two of them, one on each bank) or is a frequency tuned knock sensor required?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Registered

Gosh, it's been a while.

J&S units can be configured to work with either one.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Registered

I do not know why I have never seen this thread before. I have distroyed more motors then I care to remember over the years. I had bought the MSD knock sensor but it relied on me watching the lights and while running fast was the last thing I wanted watch.

GPM I know you were running a fast ecm also. Have you done anything with knock sensor's & if so, what did you get and how does it work?
Old 10-27-2007, 03:43 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Tj, I bought the J&S, just haven't installed it yet. Hoping to get to it in the spring.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CcanDo
Hi MTI 42, You already have piston sprayers from my fixtures.....These are new motors we have tweaked the design on.....Completely disassembled,changed several components and reassembled.....Bits and pieces of design from Dubui race team,Keith Eickert,Sterling,Zul,ourselves,Boyd Machine and others.....Boyds have done the additional machine work and reassembly.The application focus is on pleasure/poker run that is user friendly,durability and competitive power,in that order....Sanitary aesthetics is a buy product......We have more thoughts to come while looking at the marine industry as a possible business endeavor.........We will be doing a similar process to the next new set of motors,shortly.

Didnt Keith Black make a drill fixture for the piston oilers? Also heard the Nascar guys had it before the marine stuff. I was told it originated from Audi diesel engines.Ya hear so much now days
Old 10-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes it has been a while.

What is involved to configure a J&S unit to work with the Mercruiser "non-resonant frequency" knock sensors versus a frequency tuned knock sensor?

Originally Posted by John at J&S
Gosh, it's been a while.

J&S units can be configured to work with either one.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

John ?
Old 11-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
Yes it has been a while.

What is involved to configure a J&S unit to work with the Mercruiser "non-resonant frequency" knock sensors versus a frequency tuned knock sensor?
If the J&S unit works with resonant knock sensor, then it will not work with broadband sensors, because the broadband units require an ECU with Digital Signal Processing to do the filtering.

Michael
Old 11-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

That is what I thought but I wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Michael1
If the J&S unit works with resonant knock sensor, then it will not work with broadband sensors, because the broadband units require an ECU with Digital Signal Processing to do the filtering.

Michael

Quick Reply: Programmable knock control systems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.