Programmable knock control systems

Notices

Programmable knock control systems

Old 01-06-2006, 06:53 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Programmable knock control systems

Has anyone tried the J & S Safeguard, knock control system? Seems like a good idea, timing retard, rev limiter, boost and start retard. jandssafeguard.com
Old 01-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Programmable knock control systems

GPM,I've never heard of J&S before.However,their web site is very interesting.If the the system works as stated, you have made a big contribution to the marine engine by identifying the product.Do you have any further opinion or knowledge of this product or similar products?
Old 01-07-2006, 02:46 PM
GPM
Registered

I found MSD and Livorsi make knock monitors, J&S is the only one I found that actually does something to control detination. I've talked to the owner of the company several times now, he's been in business since the early 90s. I'm planning on buying one next week. If it works, and I'll know first hand, it sure would make tuning easier. I would think the head gaskets, pistons, the motor would last longer, if detination could be controled. J&S states the knock sensor can be adjusted to work with my solid roller cam, I set the amount of timing retard I want to run. The dash mounted monitor tells when the motor starts to detinate, and how much timing is being removed.

Last edited by GPM; 01-07-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

WE have two new engines in the dyno room now.They make 1,000 HP on 92 octane,non inter cooled.The supercharger is under driven 18% , F/A ratio is 12:1 at 6,000 , boost is 6.2 and timing is phased @31 degrees.However,we would like to start adding timing some where around 3,000 rpm.Whereas,the system is closed loop,it may be capable of adding that advance curve along with the other features.Yesterday,we looked at the crane HI-6.However,it doesn't offer some the features J&S claims,especially closed loop and individual cylinder control.My biggest concern is electronics cross talk and EMI and RFI----------------any comments will be appreciated!!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 04:27 PM
GPM
Registered

I was told the individual cylinder control works with the analog MSD ignition box, but may be a problem with digital. All 8 cylinders may need to be controled together. It would be nice to hear from someone that has experiance with the unit.

Last edited by GPM; 01-08-2006 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:51 PM
GPM
Registered

CcanDo, my boat will be in storeage for a while yet, so I have no way to test the knock system, I'm very curious how well it works. If you end up trying it could you post the results?
Old 01-09-2006, 01:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used the J+S unit on my '90 Syclone when I bought it. It worked flawless and was seamless. Nice light show.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:39 PM
GPM
Registered

Thanks Cobra !
Old 01-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Registered

GPM: Tom Earhart was using these before he went to an EFI with knock control.

CcanDo: The unit was mentioned here: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...xes#post494334

cobra marty: I'm happy to hear you liked the unit. We sold a couple hundred of those to Kenne-Bell, for his Syclone/Typhoon customers.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:38 PM
GPM
Registered

John, will your Safeguard work on a blower motor with carbs?

Quick Reply: Programmable knock control systems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.