496HO Adding Nitrous

Notices

496HO Adding Nitrous

Old 01-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496HO Adding Nitrous

Anyone run NOS on a 496HO?
Looking for that cheap 80MPH without cutting up my boat to add a procharger.
Looking at maybe 125HP kit and that should still keep everything together.
I have ran NOS in several cars and know the big thing is watch the fuel and it will survive.
Only looking for that occasional race.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 496HO Adding Nitrous

....propin wil be a problemos
Old 01-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Registered

Current prop is a 25 Mirage Plus lab finished by York Propeller.
I also had the computer re-programmed be Whipple so the rev. limit was raised to 5,400. Out of the hole is good now.
It runs around 4,900 rpm’s now and I hope to hit 5,400 with the NOS.
I have a 23 pitch that comes very close to 5,400 and the motor seams to be ok with it.
Again I only occasionally run it up that high and only boat on the river so I will never hold it there long.
Light boat, Checkmate 240ZT.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Re: 496HO Adding Nitrous

Why not buy one of our Raylar 100Hp kits and add a good set of headers. You will see the 550HP you are looking for with no chopping, no supercharger and no nitrous. I would not even think about hitting a stock 496 (hypereutectic pistons) with a shot of nitrous in an attempt for more speed! You may see it quick but you won't see it for long!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Registered

Ray,
I’ve been following your posts and your innovations for the 496 and just want to say I think you have hit the nail on the head and it sounds like everything is working great with your kits.
I’m guessing a good NOS set-up will run me about $500 and I won’t have to tear into my motor. I’m going to keep the Checkmate for one more summer and then it’s CAT time.
If I were going to hang onto it for awhile your kits would be the way to go.
I built a 440 for my 70 Cuda with Keith Black hypereutectic pistons and it is running 625 HP without any trouble, ok hold it right there before you start typing a reply telling me a boat motor is nothing like a drag or performance street engine, I know a boat motor has a lot of stress and sustains rpm’s for a longer period of time but with NOS if you keep it rich and run good gas so it will not spark knock it should be fine in the 100-125 HP level.
Thanks for your input and still want to know if anyone has tried this. I believe there was a guy that had the same boat and set-up I have that ran NOS for awhile and then switch to a ProCharger, in fact he sent me pictures of his install with the ProCharger but I erased has address.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
Why not buy one of our Raylar 100Hp kits and add a good set of headers. You will see the 550HP you are looking for with no chopping, no supercharger and no nitrous. I would not even think about hitting a stock 496 (hypereutectic pistons) with a shot of nitrous in an attempt for more speed! You may see it quick but you won't see it for long!

Ray @ Raylar
Ray, I'm going to have to disagree with you (just once though) on adding the 75-100hp shot on that setup...20-25% gain in a big block with a shot of nitrous may not hurt. If the operator holds down the button for longer than 20 seconds at a time it might. But for short blasts, It should be OK.

By the time you hit the button, till the time a 10lb bottle runs low on pressure, which is directly related to temp of the bottle, you will not get to the speed you are looking for. Shocking the drive at WOT with a NOS hit could be a problem too. There is only 1 way to EASE into it, and that would be with a progressive timer, but again you are limited to the time factor and you have to activate the NOS at WOT ONLY. Read up on the subject at my website:

http://home.stny.rr.com/nosplus/

Click on the theory button in the middle of the page. I've been using and selling NOS for over 20 years...Still haven't put it on a boat...Can't see the reasons why I ever would!

If you are still considering it, PM me and I'll give you my $.03 worth!

Dave
Old 01-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Registered

alsozz, if tya prop it fer max wot speed wit bottle tehn it not gonaa be good performance withou the shot........
Old 01-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Registered

axapowell,
Nice article on the theory of nitrous. I have owned 3 systems and all were from N.O.S., all have always worked great and have never blown a motor.
In my garage I have a 125hp set-up with the Holley style plate and was thinking all that would be needed is a new direct port style nozzle to hook up to the current solenoid’s, uncertain of the fuel injection part of it as far as tying them into the pump or have another fuel pump for the NOS only. I have always run carb type systems not EFI.
Any idea’s???
Old 01-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Your Powershot solenoids will work with 1 or 2 fogger nozzles. I'd suggest 1 nozzle and to call NOS Tech for jet sizes and which style nozzle...where are you going to put the nozzle? Can the ECU adjust for a dry (no fuel) shot? That would be best...You could buy the dry Corvette kit and adjust from 50-100 hp. If the ECU will adjust for the added air! Let me know if I can help anymore..

Dave
Old 01-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Registered

Dave,
A dry system would be an easy way to hook everything up but I would be awful nerves about the lag time the computer would take to add the fuel.
If I can use all my components and bottle and only have to purchase a nozzle, this will be real cheap horsepower.
Would look at putting the nozzle in front of the throttle butterfly, maybe even build a special ring to hold it kind of like a spacer since I have a full machine shop at my disposal
I would add a switch to activate only at WOT.
Brian

Quick Reply: 496HO Adding Nitrous

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.