Mercury parts made by Seirra?

Notices

Mercury parts made by Seirra?

Old 01-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mercury parts made by Seirra?

Considering the basic items, such as dist. caps, water impellors, water fittings and such. Possibly even manifolds.

Was ordering some Genuine Merc parts from "one of the largest US Merc parts suppliers" as he claimed last week. I know Quick Silver and Mercury parts are the same thing, different packages, but the guy on the phone was saying that Merc parts are actually made by Sierra, the brand common at West Marine, but sold cheaper. So I ordered the Sierra parts, (the plastic exhaust manifold elbow with blue drain tees). Though they look alike side by side, they are definently not from the same mold. Different/no parting lines, and molded in part numbers between the 2 'brands'. Material was even different. Not sure if I would say cheaper, just different.

So what's the low down? No direct connection, OR made by same manufacture, but with different materials, molds, and tolerances.

Always been a genuine parts person myself.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mercury parts made by Seirra?

Both Merc. and Sierra MARKET parts, but manufacture few items. So the same outfit could build both a Merc. and a Sierra water pump impeller but the one they build for Merc. is built to Merc's specs. and the Sierra is built just for them. So you might see some physical differences between the two even though the same house built it. Most of Merc's genuine parts are built in Mexico so I would go with the outfit that has the best warranty and is closest to your boat when it breaks. And NO; I don't really think that Sierra builds parts for Merc. --- Jer
Old 01-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Registered

sierra is or was owned by eichlen the tune up parts people, merc is owned by bruswick corp
Old 01-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GOODT
sierra is or was owned by eichlen the tune up parts people, merc is owned by bruswick corp
Yes; that's exactly right. (other than "bruswick" is really Brunswick) But it still doesn't change what I said. Neither really MANUFACTURE the small replacement parts and Sierra does not manufacture Merc's parts! --- Jer
Old 01-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I am aware Merc does not actually make the parts. When someone, the parts guy in this instance, says they are made by the same company, Made me wondering if I been paying more for the same thing just to recieve it in a Merc package vs in a Seirra package for less $$.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Registered

seirra retail pricing is almost the same for most products as merc the differance being sierra is avalible to all shops were merc is only avalible to merc dealers or through land and sea dist. sierra products are NOT all made by the same companys that make merc parts in many cases you can see the diff in quality .... in some cases sierra makes a better part but in most cases merc does just compare parts side by side dist caps for instance
Old 01-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 163 Likes on 91 Posts

The other thing you get from that Merc package is the Merc warranty. Can be handled by any Merc dealer in the country. I've never had to process a Siera warranty so I can't comment (i'm sure they have one) , but for us the Merc warranty is easy.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some parts are made by the exact same supplier in the same molds. Some parts are by different suppliers. Yes mercury does source some parts from Sierra, Arco, etc.. Sierra's warranty is solid. They cover parts and labor. It is easy to process and they pay pretty well. Saying this, I have to clarify that not all the parts are created equal. Most Sierra stuff is as good, sometimes better, but some parts are not as good. You never really go wrong with oem, but should always be carefull with aftermarket.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Registered

update.... teleflex now owns sierra..... here is a link to there on line catalog if this helps anyone.....

http://ww2.sierramarine.com/minor_ca...RINE%20SECTION
Old 01-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think that Sierra is a bad company either. I however use & stress OEM Merc & Volvo parts in our shop. Usually the price difference is to small to even think about not using OEM. We rarely ever use the aftermarket as it's nice to know your getting exactly what was on the boat's driveline originally had, or at least it's what the OEM now wants on it for proper operation. Just my 2 cents..

FYI: I use the OEM stuff on my own boat including oem filters.

Jamie

Quick Reply: Mercury parts made by Seirra?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.