Drive oil in bellows?

Notices

Drive oil in bellows?

Old 01-14-2006, 09:16 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive oil in bellows?

Just pulls drives and engines so i can paint the bilge.When the drives came off about half a bottle of oil came out of the bellows.This drive was rebuilt in july by Aaron a Max Machine.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:52 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drive oil in bellows?

I will assume you are taking about a Bravo drive. There are 2 places the oil could be leaking from. Both require removing the input shaft, releasing the existing pre-load on the input bearings then resetting the preload. There is an "O" ring around the upper retainer nut that can leak, but more than likely, the lip seal that goes around the input shaft is leaking.
What kind of drive is it, XR, Bravo 1, Imco? If its an "XR", there is an updated retainer nut you should make sure goes in this time.

Last edited by Vinny P; 01-14-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:23 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

It's a max machine xr drive.I might have to call them to see if this is under warrenty.i only put about 30 hrs. on it seen it was rebuilt.Thanks
Old 01-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Registered

What Checkmate said; And NO, That seal or seal surface should not have worn out in 30 hrs. It was most likely damaged during assembly, and I WOULD expect the builder to make it good. --- Jer
Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Registered

had same problem on my bravo/relaced seal but the leak came back! check wear on the drive shaft/thats my next move! good luck mismanagement
Old 02-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the seal that is behind the double tapered roller bearing assy that you guys are referring to might only be half the problem. the yoke could also be grooved on the sealing surface causing the leak. the o-ring on the outside circumference rarely leaks. are you sure that it didn`t come from the gear lube monitor`s nipple when you pulled the drive? just something to ask before getting pi$$ed at someone.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Re: Drive oil in bellows?

Had The Same Problem Spent A Month Going Back To The Dealer (warranty) Ended Up With New Input Shaft,bla Bla Bla.... Was The Shift Fork Shaft Seal A Stupid 99 Cent Part " But" (they Tried That Too) Had To Use The Mercury Tool For The Seal And Bushing Install,to Get The Mess Strait
Old 02-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soinc
Had The Same Problem Spent A Month Going Back To The Dealer (warranty) Ended Up With New Input Shaft,bla Bla Bla.... Was The Shift Fork Shaft Seal A Stupid 99 Cent Part " But" (they Tried That Too) Had To Use The Mercury Tool For The Seal And Bushing Install,to Get The Mess Strait
yours must be an alpha model as his bravo does not have a shift fork. a simple pressure test with a bottle of soapy water should have told them in ten minutes where the leak was.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:21 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jpclear
What Checkmate said; And NO, That seal or seal surface should not have worn out in 30 hrs. It was most likely damaged during assembly, and I WOULD expect the builder to make it good. --- Jer
They sent me 2 new seals and i have too install them.Great warrenty.Anyone want a set of max machine drives ?
Old 02-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Registered

Food for thought. Just replacing the seal may not fix the problem. There was an era in there that bellows were leaking a small amount of water in the u-joint area that was causing the seal surface to rust and therefore it would take out the lip seal. Were not talking mass amounts of water either. If there is any rust on the U-joints replace the bellows and your problem will probably not come back. It was a flaw with the die that was used for the bellows.
Thanks, Cam-shaft.

Quick Reply: Drive oil in bellows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.