transom pickup or drive

Notices

transom pickup or drive

Old 01-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: transom pickup or drive

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Thanks of the info. Bo have you seen any probs with too much pres in the innercooler and seen any damage?

I was told the PFM are good to 40psi and the Whipples is good to 100psi.

Rob
yes actually twice. once from not using large enough dumps. the other was from using an imco lower the way i described earlier. the imcos make big time water pressure, which makes it necessary ro go the long but correct route of using a strainer, a pop off valve and correct size dumps, that dump ove board and not into the exhaust.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
yes actually twice. once from not using large enough dumps. the other was from using an imco lower the way i described earlier. the imcos make big time water pressure, which makes it necessary ro go the long but correct route of using a strainer, a pop off valve and correct size dumps, that dump ove board and not into the exhaust.
If the Imco picks up so much water. wouldnt that mean if you could make the opening on the Imco smaller that it would be faster?Like a pick up hanging down too far getting to much water???

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about southbay strainers. I've had good luck with them. Especially when I use a big one , and use the 1 1/2" thru hull fitting. My friend has a pair of 588 na's that run cool. Out here in the GSB, we are plagued with seaweed. With these, I never even see a piece of grass in the inside basket strainer. I've seen problems with the transom mounted units.
Is the problem with the S.B.S , that it may pick up air if very little of the boat is in water at high speed(usually mounted 3' foward from transom ) ? or is it a drag factor ? or does its installation(even correctly done ) cause a pocket, or disrupt the water pattern to the prop ? F* getting water from a drive. First, it's shallow waterways here and the drive will fill a motor with sand, and muck, second the hose in the trans. assy is only 5/8" , third , salt water passing through the drive is a severe corrosion issue. So if I ever come across a low water p/u drive I'll sell it to someone who lives in a freshwater area, because I'll have no need for it. BBB
Old 01-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
If the Imco picks up so much water. wouldnt that mean if you could make the opening on the Imco smaller that it would be faster?Like a pick up hanging down too far getting to much water???

Rob

NO. your not changing the hydro-dynamic's of the lower, just diminishing the amount of water entering the drive. this will lower the overall pressure, and in some instances we have machined the cases to except a s.s grating for 2 purpose's
1 to lower pressure 2 to keep Deb to a minimum.
the adjustable pick up( or permanent style if you have the patience to keep cutting until you achieve the correct balance)helps by adjusting height to lower or raise pressure as well to not hang down too much to create too much drag.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy
What about southbay strainers. I've had good luck with them. Especially when I use a big one , and use the 1 1/2" thru hull fitting. My friend has a pair of 588 na's that run cool. Out here in the GSB, we are plagued with seaweed. With these, I never even see a piece of grass in the inside basket strainer. I've seen problems with the transom mounted units.
Is the problem with the S.B.S , that it may pick up air if very little of the boat is in water at high speed(usually mounted 3' foward from transom ) ? or is it a drag factor ? or does its installation(even correctly done ) cause a pocket, or disrupt the water pattern to the prop ? F* getting water from a drive. First, it's shallow waterways here and the drive will fill a motor with sand, and muck, second the hose in the trans. assy is only 5/8" , third , salt water passing through the drive is a severe corrosion issue. So if I ever come across a low water p/u drive I'll sell it to someone who lives in a freshwater area, because I'll have no need for it. BBB

south bay stariners are for searays
on any boat that runs any kind oy significant speed, they will cause all three of the problems you stated earlier.
as far as the drive, how many of the bravo boats you see out on the waters , or at mloey malones , fire island ,use the drive as primary inlet for water or as the way i stated earlier.
i would sa y atleast 5000 at any given time. the eel grass happens to bite but on any speed boat the correct way is to use the method stated above.