Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dry Sump ?

yes sir.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you would build a 50 k motor w/ out a low oil press shut down switch ? can't speak for your stuff but that oil pump belt no more suceptable to failure than any other mecahnical system that someone made a decision about in the motor.

the belts just don't "break" . if they are too small or the pullies are badly made or the guy that put the thing together did a lousy job of alignment then you get a failure... just like any OTHER failure that is self inflicted by stupidity , neglect or incompetance..

there is no magic to this... off the shelf , high quality stuff and you have a system that works better than any other. you'll spend 4 grand on a stereo ... and put in a $ 38 dollar oil pump in a 10,000 motor....

hmmmmmmmmmm let me think about that.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Dry Sump ?

Originally Posted by stevesxm
you would build a 50 k motor w/ out a low oil press shut down switch ? can't speak for your stuff but that oil pump belt no more suceptable to failure than any other mecahnical system that someone made a decision about in the motor.

the belts just don't "break" . if they are too small or the pullies are badly made or the guy that put the thing together did a lousy job of alignment then you get a failure... just like any OTHER failure that is self inflicted by stupidity , neglect or incompetance..

there is no magic to this... off the shelf , high quality stuff and you have a system that works better than any other. you'll spend 4 grand on a stereo ... and put in a $ 38 dollar oil pump in a 10,000 motor....

easy , i'm just saying that the norm for dry sumping is not 500 -700, and theres more than just human error. water engestion, thru a scoop. banging a rev limiter,a malfunctioning ignition box, which can cause the belt to pop off as well as the blower belt, and like you said. human error( most comon). and since most owner's do not wrench themselves, it's one less thing for them to touch.
oh, and i do install ignition bypass,as well as interupt hop switches on almost every thing. and i do not build engines. by choice.dont need the liability. i've seen to many well built engines crap the bed for no apparevt reason.either RICHIE ZUL or J.C PERFORMANCE build them for me or my clients. by choice. and there are some engines that are being installed with a dry sump system. by choice
as far as the stereo comment, i would prefer not to make such assesments , without first knowing who'm i'm speaking with.

Last edited by monstaaa; 01-16-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 403 Posts

Most the people I deal with WOULDN"T spend 5 grand on a dry sump oil system for their 10,000 $ motor. Yeah,it would be nice but if they had a extra 5K$ they would probably put in in other hp making parts. Sure every motor should have a la kryptonite or winberg crank,jesel shaft rockers,oil sprayers under the pistons, oliver rods and a # 6 dry sump drive to complement it too but most people can't afford them either,Smitty
Old 01-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
plus installation, and fabrication of lines, tank, etc,,,, . and then the belt breaks and theres 50k +++ out the window. inertia is a ba@l buster. and the more moving parts to break they will do just that.

heres a bracket were redsigning for a client because of a stress factor, in a dry sump application, and the need to relocate things because of the boats configuration.
it is defineately a trik setup and by design is un surpassed for longevity.
Ive seen dry sump brackets cracked,belts chewed up,pulleys that came loose, a dry sump system in my opinion is reserved for the more exotic race motors that get constant maintenance,Smitty
Old 01-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Ive seen dry sump brackets cracked,belts chewed up,pulleys that came loose, a dry sump system in my opinion is reserved for the more exotic race motors that get constant maintenance,Smitty
bravo!
Old 01-17-2006, 05:35 AM
Registered

well............... ok.... if you say so. but i still maintain that in ANY venue where the oil is tossed around like it is in boats and cars, then dry sump is the answer... and it has absolutely nothing to do with how much power the motor makes or how much it costs to build. if you starve your 4500 crate motor its going to run the bearings just as surely as your 50 k blower motor... and every single other example you draw will kill a mechanical pump the same way.

if your point is that dry sump is MORE expensive then wet sump...you win

if your point is that a oil system that is not subjected to g loads doesn't need it... you win.

if your assertion is that dry sump requires someone to look at it every once in a while to make sure it is still attached to the motor... you win again.

if your assertion is that a wet sump will do what a dry sump does in situations of hi g ... you are simply flat wrong. and there in lay my point....

you can spend your money on an oil system that will work in all conditions and SPECIFICALLY those that the REST of your equipment was designed to function in...

or you can do an oil system that will be found wanting when you need it the most.... when the motor is on the limiter and all your oil is up in the piston skirts or layed against the side of the block.

at THAT moment , the 2 grand per motor you spent on the kits and the other 2 grand for infrastructure plus the 2 mins to look at the belt every time you check your oil is going to seem really really REALLY cheap.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Registered

well............... ok.... if you say so. but i still maintain that in ANY venue where the oil is tossed around like it is in boats and cars, then dry sump is the answer... and it has absolutely nothing to do with how much power the motor makes or how much it costs to build. if you starve your 4500 crate motor its going to run the bearings just as surely as your 50 k blower motor... and every single other example you draw will kill a mechanical pump the same way.

if your point is that dry sump is MORE expensive then wet sump...you win

if your point is that a oil system that is not subjected to g loads doesn't need it... you win.

if your assertion is that dry sump requires someone to look at it every once in a while to make sure it is still attached to the motor... you win again.

if your assertion is that a wet sump will do what a dry sump does in situations of hi g ... you are simply flat wrong. and there in lay my point....

you can spend your money on an oil system that will work in all conditions and SPECIFICALLY those that the REST of your equipment was designed to function in...

or you can do an oil system that will be found wanting when you need it the most.... when the motor is on the limiter and all your oil is up in the piston skirts or layed against the side of the block.

at THAT moment , the 2 grand per motor you spent on the kits and the other 2 grand for infrastructure plus the 2 mins to look at the belt every time you check your oil is going to seem really really REALLY cheap.
i agree. all i am saying is the average person is easily turned off by increasing invoices. and allthough some members here understand theory and concept others do not. as well as they will never put the vessel thru its paces to warrant such cheap insurance. thereforecant see spending the money, none the less on a stock or near stock, or even a hi-perf engine.

some people question the fact of using synthetic over conventional. "awweee why the heck should i go for the xtra $, especially when i change so often" my response cheap insurance.

i applaud you in your conviction.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:38 AM
Registered

i was only indicted and i had no idea she was only 15. she looked 17 at least.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Registered

lol

Quick Reply: Dry Sump ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.