Cleaning gas tanks?????

Notices

Cleaning gas tanks?????

Old 01-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cleaning gas tanks?????

I need to flush and clean my two 90 gal saddle tanks. I have very limited access to tops of tanks and cannot pull them out. Any suggestions?
Old 01-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Default Re: Cleaning gas tanks?????

come on guys...... I know someone out there knows some kind of trick for this job.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we use a company called clean fuels out of annapolis md im pretty shure they are a franchis you may want to check into that they clean the fuel and the tank......
Old 01-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

thanks for the info GOODT, I'll try them
Old 01-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

No dice.....Clean Fuels Associates just filters and cleans fuel, they don't do any tank cleaning.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you need them cleaned? Junk in the bottom? I use a pump and go in through one of the pickups or the fill with a small hose. Pump out any crap in there then start going again.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

scottc, What type of pump do you use? I'm sure there are some particles in the bottom of the tank. I keep getting little pieces in the fuel filter can. Nothing has been affected but I would like to clean it just to make sure.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a standard Carter ele fuel pump with a racore clear filter system. It's a 75 gph pump. A 1/2" line for a pick up. Can you get to the sending unit? If so, just remove it and use some plastic tubing for a pickup. I have the pump mounted on a cart with about 25 feet of pickup tube on it. Keep all sparkes away from the tank. You can either pump the fuel out of the boat and into cans or just put the return line back into the boat. Youll see the crap in the filter and all you have to do is clean it out and start again untill you see no more trash in the filter.
Call me for more details if you like.
410-573-9776
Old 01-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this last month.I was having trouble with a gummy substance clogging the internal fuel filter on my promax motors.I found the sending units and removed them and could see a film on the bottom of the tank.It was the stuff that is fromm old gas.I used a holly fuel pump to empty the tank into a 55 gallon drum using clear fuel hose to keep an eye on the condition of the fuel.I had let the boat sit a couple of weeks so all the sludge settled. hooked the pump to the fuel pickup line.When the fuel stopped comming out(it was clean)I then got 2 gallons of muratic acid(Home depot) and proceeded to put a couple of gallons of water in the bottom of the tank.I then poured the acid in the tank and let it sit for only a few minutes while the acid ate at the sludge.Do not let it sit too long it will start eating at the tank.Take precautions using gloves and stay away from the fumes.As the acid work I kind of jiggled the boat to get the acid to slosh.After a bout 2 minutes I stated adding water to the tank to dilute the acid down to a harmless concentration.(I used 1 gallon of acid in each tank and then filled up the tank with 75 gallons of water).I then pumped out the tank into the grass in the backyard.The solution is so diluted that it will not harm anything.When I got to the bottom of the tank you would not belive the color of the water.After the tank was empty I filled it up with water again and again and pumped it dry until the water was clean(I think it was 3 times?).The tank was spotless inside.I then transfered the clean fuel back into the tank(about 35 gallons worth)and added Stabil and alcohol(to dry up any water that may have been left).Sounds like a lot but well worth it.My boat had sat a while not being used alot until I bought it and when I would get to about 1/4 tanks with the agitiation it would suck up the sludge and clog the filter.Just take percautions using the acid.Get the appropriate gloves and eye protection and make sure you you do not pour straight acid into the tank put some water in it first.Good Luck.
Mark
Old 01-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Wow really.... water? That makes me real nervous. I do appreciate the info though. Did you pump the acidic water out through the fuel pumps? Can this harm the pumps? I only ask because i have holley pumps as well but there is a filter between them and the tanks. Also, i don't believe there is sludge in the tanks just little rust particles. Are these step needed if no sludge? I think the tanks are somewhat decent because of running race fuel in them most of their lives?

Quick Reply: Cleaning gas tanks?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.