blower carb setup >

blower carb setup

Notices

blower carb setup

Old 01-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default blower carb setup

alrighty, well we got three 551c.i. bowties putting out 600 horse each. we want to put blowers on them, and get around 750 horse or so. could we keep our existing bg dominators? would an 8-71 type supercharger be a correct size for this application? how much power would running 3 pounds of boost get? 4 pounds? 5 pounds? this is going to be non intercooler also. if the blowers are 2900 each, and i keep my existing carb, linkage, etc. how much should it cost per engine to install if the engines are already out of the boat? thanks
Old 01-21-2006, 03:44 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: blower carb setup

Your best bet would be to contact Dean Nickerson, Nickerson Performance in Bristol, PA. He has blower carbs down pat. You will need to know your cam specs before you call. A single Dominator will not be enough. I would strongly advise staying NA to avoid future problems similar to your past experiance. Joe Murray
Old 01-21-2006, 03:53 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

I set up a similar engine. Went with 2-800 or so by AED in VA. Asked for 12.0:1 wet flow AF. Put them on and went to the dyno and lucked out, didn't really need to change them. HP will no doubt depend on heads, cam, compression, exh etc and how many rpm. 750 should be attainable without too much difficulty. Probably need to hook up with a good builder for the wisdom and dyno setup.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stinger
If your not going to run intercoolers, a bigger blower is better: you don't have to work them as hard to make your boost. This will also keep the intake mixture cooler(less chance of detination). What is your static compression? Rember, on pump gas your final compression should stay under 12.5 to 1, especially not being intercooled. I run twin 900 holley's that Nickerson did, one thing I did do was externally reference the power vales (front & back) all of them. This makes the motors better for idle etc.. Make sure you get enough volume of fuel to the carbs (there is a difference between pressure & volume) and keep the mixture rich (helps cool pistons) fat motors live longer. You might have to change oil more, but better oil than motors.
I would think for the HP you want , with those CI's a 10-71 with 4 psi boost will get you where you want to be. And they will be dependable if everything else is set up right (good basement parts, valves, springs, correct cam, etc...)
Believe me I learned SC motors from the "school of hard knocks". You don't want to experience that.