Notices

Changing MPI to Carb on Gen 6 - Need Electric Fuel Pump recommendation

Old 02-06-2006, 07:36 PM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Changing MPI to Carb on Gen 6 - Need Electric Fuel Pump recommendation

Gen 6 502 MPI Motor - Pulling off the MPI system - Changing to ZZ502 cam with merlin single plane intake and 850CFM carb.
Can someone recommend a descent electric fuel pump that I can buy and plumb/wire into the system? I'm trying to avoid the mechanical pump that is driven off the raw water pump.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 02-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Changing MPI to Carb on Gen 6 - Need Electric Fuel Pump recommendation

Check out Aeromotives' Marine pump with return regulator. I use it and so do plenty of others here.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Registered

Default Re: Changing MPI to Carb on Gen 6 - Need Electric Fuel Pump recommendation

I use a weldon 600 a inline pump and a weldon regulator.
Top quality stuff rated at 60 gph at 60 psi, it flows more than enough fuel for what you need.It is very quiet, you can't hear it run if the engine is running.Can be mounted above the tank, it is self priming.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm certainly not a motor expert but I have seen here on OSO many times that the ZZ502 cam is not the best choice for a marine engine. You might want to get some opinions on a cam too.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Registered

Just curious about why you are changing from the fuel injection ! What will you do with the MPI/EFI system ? I'm also curious about why you don't retain the belt driven fuel pump.

Good luck with the change over.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:16 PM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Re: Changing MPI to Carb on Gen 6 - Need Electric Fuel Pump recommendation

Checkmate454mag & Nova 26 - Thanks for the info on the fuel pumps, I will look into each one. I am going to try to mount one close to on on the engine as my Fountain's fuel tank is not accessable.

DaveM: Thanks for the question on the cam. The 110 degree LSA is questionable for reversion but it did come recommended by Dennis Moore and a few others.

Deboatmon: The original fuel pump for the MPI system was not belt driven but electric as well. It has 350+ hrs on it and is located down towards the oil pan. If I was to reuse it and it failed, I would not have access to it without pulling the motors.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Gary