Thermostatic oil cooler? >

Thermostatic oil cooler?

Notices

Thermostatic oil cooler?

Old 02-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thermostatic oil cooler?

If there was a working oil thermostat, would a water thermostat be necessary? I also have a crossover with no cooling thermostat and I can't get the oil warm enough to "cook off the condensation". I was thinking of installing oil thermostats (210 degree) to help. If a cooling t-stat works, it would be easier to install than an oil t-stat.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my ups and downs with crossover systems. I presently use one with excellent results. I also use a Mercury Racing Oil T-Stat filter mount to control oil temps and a Mercury Racing Water Pressure relief valve.
I run a 142* Water T-Stat with (3) 3/16" holes drilled in it. Crossover also has a bypass with a 3/8" orifice installed in the 5/8" hose that runs to the T-Stat housing. I have had no problems with temps or pressures until this year, late in the season. Lake water temps were very cold. It was noticeable in the hydraulic steering as it was stiff. I did notice that my oil temps were not as warm as in the summer months. I changed out the 142 T-stat to a 160 T-Stat and all was fine. The warmer motor helped in bringing the oil temps up. All of the water T-Stats I use have three holes drilled in them.
There are many variables to consider when designing a water or oil cooling system.
I agree, it is not a bolt on system. It is all trial and error.

Here is a pic of my setup when I was running Stainless Marine exhaust. I presently am using the Keith Eickert headers which are susceptible to meltdown without enough of a supply of cooling water. You can see the hoses coming off of the T-Stat housing. Three holes in a T-Stat is not enough flow to cool your exhaust system regardless of what exhaust system you are running.
Attached Thumbnails Thermostatic oil cooler?-540-sm-exhaust-starboard.jpg  
Old 02-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I run a Merc. pressure relief valve too. I will probably go with a 120 deg. t-stat being s/c. As soon as I get the engine/oil temps. where I want them, I am taking the temp. gauge out and putting a water pressure gauge in. Reason being, there is already an overheat beeper, and if you have water pressure at the block there should be no issues. I don't have a strainer yet, and the low water pickup is great at picking up pebbles that plug the oil cooler tubes. Monitoring water pressure will keep me on top of developing problems.