Can I add power steering?? >

Can I add power steering??

Notices

Can I add power steering??

Old 02-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I add power steering??

OK, thanks for the help with the bellow's on my Bravo 1's. Here is my new project. I have a 1991 34' Baja EC with 454's and Bravo 1's. I have a full hydraulic steering system with NO power at all. The boat came with a cable system and a power steering pump but was changed sometime over the yrs. before I bought it. Turning the 2 outdrives is pretty tough at slow speeds, unlike turning a couple rudders on a larger inboard boat with no power. Is there any way to add power steering without adding steering rams like the offshore boats have on the outside of the boat? Thank you in advance.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can I add power steering??

I assume you mean you've got a hydraulic helm and an interior ram that moves the steering arms?
If so, you'll need a new helm pump that's set up for power assist. You'll also need to add lines, power steering pump, and reservoir.
If you're going that route, you would probably be better off adding full hydraulic external steering.
Another option would be to add twin external rams. The increased volume would result in easier steering, but it would be slower. You could convert to power after that if you wanted.
Gary
Old 02-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Registered

Yes, hydraulic helm with 2 lines running back to ram mounted on inside of transom. There is a tiebar that connects the 2 steering points, then that is connected to the ram. I already have a power steering pump that WAS on one of the motors, but took it off because it wasn't being used. The pump was hooked up through the steering cooler, but I just blocked those fitting's off. I really don't want to go the externally mounted steering system, would like to keep everything below deck. Where would I look for a system that you mentioned? Would it make the system steer MUCH easier, or just a little bit? Thanks
Old 02-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Char-Lynn makes the helm pumps, but you'll need to know the volume of your cylinder. You'll need to run new lines to the helm, but you should be able to turn it as easy as your car.
The internal steering tends to be hard on bravo gimbal rings at the upper pivot pin (do a search here on ginbal ring repaires). I would suggest looking for a couple used hynautic K5 external rams and try that approach. They are very heavy and can usually be found used for about $100 each. They're also easy to rebuild. The effort will be about 1/2 of what it is now, and the cost of rams, fittings, and drive caps will probably be less than the addition of the power assist.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Registered

Thank's for the info. I did a google search on Char-lynn pump's and it lead me back to a thread on OSO back in 2002! Seem's like some other guy's have put together their own steering system's with part's from Northern tool and Eaton. Very good to see that I have a chance to get some "one handed" steering back on my boat, which will be a welcome relief.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Registered

I have a brand new Char-Lynn helm that i took off a boat when i switched to a larger helm.I'm asking $200 for it,thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Registered

Holy COW, I just got off the phone with Imco Marine. A steering system for my boat will cost me over $4000.00, that's WAY TOO much for an express cruiser. I'll have to start looking for other solution's to improve my steering stiffness.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Registered

Roarkace,
What did you pump come from? I have a twin engine boat with cable over hydraulic that I want to convert to full hydraulic. Is your helm unit big enough for a twin application?

I've been told I need the helm unit, hoses, and a filter to convert. Sounds too easy so I am sure I am missing something.

Thanks,
Doug