Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
OUTDRIVE MAN and anyone else,  King Cobra cone clutch?? >

OUTDRIVE MAN and anyone else, King Cobra cone clutch??

Notices

OUTDRIVE MAN and anyone else, King Cobra cone clutch??

Old 02-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OUTDRIVE MAN and anyone else, King Cobra cone clutch??

my first thought would be the cone and cups. does the drive shift when isolated from the boat? you must remember this is a cone clutch so mechanically when the cable moves the cone moves. if it were the clutch dog lower, we would test the interupter. you must remember the reason for the interupter is to stumble the engine momentarily to disengage the clutch dog from the gear. but when this problem occurs, with the clutch dog unit, you have to muscle the control. what i would do to be sure is recreate the problem then completely breakdown the shift system. but i think we know where you tests willl lead you. i wouldn`t trust the hour meter the last time i saw a 1992 boat with 50 hrs was in 1992.

Last edited by outdrive man; 02-22-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

outdrive man key word 1992 you are right......

sorry dont know any 2005s with 50 hrs
Old 02-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Registered

My brother in law had the same problem. We finally found the ground was not good at the controller and from the block back to the batteries
Old 02-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Registered

Sounds like you guys know what you are talking about. I dont want to spend a bunch of money and still not have it fixed. The omc dealer has all the tools and seems to have the knowledge but says he cant gaurantee changing the clutch will solve the problem. He only has seen two of this type drive in this area and mine is one of the two and the other one is working great,never had problems. I know that he works on a lot of drives and everyone around here speaks good of his work. I live in Mn.and our water is still hard up here. Im going to have to make a decision, what to do before long. Thanks for all the input but I still am hoping for a fix without going into the drive. Just wishfull thinking on my part.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Registered

I cleaned all the cables both + and - , then coated them with die elect before putting them back together.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=CrazyCat57]I posted here last year about not having reverse when the drive is hot and then working after it cools down. This happens consistently. I built a drive shower for it that puts a ton of water on the drive but doesnt help the problem. I bought the boat in the late fall and it was winterized and shrink wraped when I got it. It appears to have the bluish green merc lube in it. It is the 1992 454 Chev King Cobra, cone clutch drive. My local omc dealer adjusted everything to the foctory settings by the book, everything is as it should be, cables and all.The boat only shows a little over 50 hrs on the hr meter but who can really know for sure? I am going to try Mobil 1 75 90 synthetic lube to see if that could be my problem. I dont want to start replacing a bunch of parts and still end up with the same problem. Do you or anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for any replies or suggestions.[/QUOTE

I have a pair and a spare king drive 1992 donzi 502s I have been told that you should not use synthetic oil cause the cone cluches are brass not steel like merc
Had one cone cluch go after15 hrs, the dealer installed merc drive oil when changing clutch! they replaced the cluch and used omc drive lube the second time and have had no problems since over 100 hrs
as said in previous posts the ajustment of the sifting lever is crucial ,the cluch must fully engage both directions or you will fry the cluch.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Registered

I had this problem with a Liberator 221 with a 454 King Cobra.

Took it to a OMC mechanic, change the drive oil and replaced with 100% synthetic, and lubed the cables. Have not had a problem since.

Repair last August, and ran the boat through October without a repeat.

Merc outdrive oil will not work.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GOODT
trust me built many,

been there done that.......

omc certs ect

check adj if all is good r&r cone and cups
Don't know if it's the same but I remember on the older Volvo Drives that ran 30W motor oil we had to dissasemble them and de-glaze the cone/cups. Once that was done they shifted fine.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Don't know if it's the same but I remember on the older Volvo Drives that ran 30W motor oil we had to dissasemble them and de-glaze the cone/cups. Once that was done they shifted fine.

remember those VERY well still play with them....but differt problem here just worn out cone clutch is what it sounds like
Old 03-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Registered

here is a great link for omc parts (glm) and tech info

have bought from them when in a bind very helpful

http://www.sterndrive.info/

Quick Reply: OUTDRIVE MAN and anyone else, King Cobra cone clutch??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.