Engine Break-in >

Engine Break-in

Notices

Engine Break-in

Old 02-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: Engine Break-in

Just pulled engine. Found that one of the pipe plugs did indeed have a hole in it. Now having a problem removing the plug. Allen wrench just keep turning inside. Maybe too much thread lock? Not sure. Not sure how to remove the plug. Any suggestions? Heard you could heat plug then use candle wax on the plug to cool quickly to make it shrink to help break it loose. I may try this with an ease out.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Engine Break-in

just heat alittle will sofen / melt the loctite
Old 02-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the heat and easy out in the hex first, but if you have to drill it for an easy out, have somebody run an oil pump primer and drill in place of the distributor and pressurise the oil system so if flushes the stuff out while you are drilling.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the same thing you would with a wrench on a rounded off bolt. Get a metric allen for a socket wrench 1mm larger and hammer it in if you can. Use heat on the plug then see if it will turn.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Engine Break-in

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going back down to where I keep the boat today(1 1/2 hr drive) and start off with some heat and larger allen wrench then go from there. Really don't want to drill into unless last resort. Will a hand propane torch get hot enough or do you think I need to drag my oxy/act tourch with me? Have a set of those "ease out" tools from craftsmen that I never have used, going to try them also.
Trying to get together for our 20 year mardi gras boat parade and party. This is always hosted by "crazy charlie" at blood river landing. Who also puts on the Tickfaw 200. He is having the cast of "the real gilligans island" reallity show come this year. Charlie won it this past fall. What a hoot..coon-ass come out of da swamp an win tha cash.
Will keep ya'll posted and again thanks for all the info.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Registered

Angry Re: Engine Break-in

Got the plug out by using some heat and using one of those ease outs that looks like a screw. Glad thats over with.
Now while breaking in the no.2 engine as I first fire it up sounded like it wanted to have some valve clatter coming from one side. Progressivily got alittle worse and the side in question exhaust temps were getting very hot. Checked timing, checked spark plugs, crossed plug wires on that side. Have engine builder coming by thursday to hear engine and decide what he is going to do. You ever have one of those projects that just seems to defy you? Can anyone give me some clues on what to look for? thanks again.