Air Fuel Ratio Gauges >

Air Fuel Ratio Gauges

Notices

Air Fuel Ratio Gauges

Old 02-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Air Fuel Ratio Gauges

Has Any One Had Any Experience With Air Fuel Ratio Gauges, If So What Kind, And Where From.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Air Fuel Ratio Gauges

I use the Innovative Motorsports LM-1. You must calibrate it before you start, but it is very accurate. It is about $350, but you might find it for less if you shop. I setup some performance marine and automotive engines with it, with great success.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Registered

Will That Read All 4 Exhaust Pipes,i Want To Mount The Gauges In The Dash Somewhere.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I mounted the sensor in the collector[drilled and welded in stainless fitting], and it gives me the average per side. It also responds very quickly.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boatman are you running a wet or dry exhaust?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Innovate wideband O2 sensor in wet exhausts. I made a spacer plate to go between the manifold and elbow on my Imcos and it works great
Only trouble is that AFTER I bought it I found they have a round guage type meter that can be dash mounted .
Attached Thumbnails Air Fuel Ratio Gauges-dsc01173-medium-.jpg   Air Fuel Ratio Gauges-dsc01172-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by mopower; 02-22-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BOATMAN302
Has Any One Had Any Experience With Air Fuel Ratio Gauges, If So What Kind, And Where From.
Botman,
I have used several O2 gauges in the past. I also take EGT's as well. I have used ones from Summit, as well as big $$ ones. Nordskog has a really nice one. I have used digital, and graph style also. The LED style is nice, probably my first choice after using several different types. They are all only reference, not exact science. I have run them in several different applications, and the main thing is you can't get them wet. Not at all, or the sender will not work. They don't even like moisture. I like to put them in the tail pipe, a couple of inches back to get an average reading from the collector. Remember, with an average o2 reading, you could still be lean or rich in different cyl's and get a good reading. Be careful.
Good luck.
Bawana
Old 02-23-2006, 01:10 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bawana
Botman,
I have used several O2 gauges in the past. I also take EGT's as well. I have used ones from Summit, as well as big $$ ones. Nordskog has a really nice one. I have used digital, and graph style also. The LED style is nice, probably my first choice after using several different types. They are all only reference, not exact science. I have run them in several different applications, and the main thing is you can't get them wet. Not at all, or the sender will not work. They don't even like moisture. I like to put them in the tail pipe, a couple of inches back to get an average reading from the collector. Remember, with an average o2 reading, you could still be lean or rich in different cyl's and get a good reading. Be careful.
Good luck.
Bawana
That the same as I heard no moisture.Mine are in the tail pipes . I haven't used them yet . CMI put them in for me .I am fixing to go back to the Dyno and try them out

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Air Fuel Ratio Gauges-tail-pipes-001.jpg   Air Fuel Ratio Gauges-tail-pipes-003.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Registered

I Am Running Imco Powerflows, I Do Believe They Are Wet. They Look Like Mopowers.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Registered

for egt thermocouples to be effective they have to be ver very close to the port. couple inches away or less.

for o2 sensors to work properly they need to be in a position close to the collector but not so far down stream as to be allowed to " cool"

not doing these two things will give you data that is not accurate.... relative for sure... but not accurate.

my experience is that o2 sensors not effective for fine jetting...resolution too coarse , but egts work well... key with egts is that the numbers change so fast is not really possible to monitor by " eye" effectively. so i use/ used a data recorder at a high sample rate to get nice clean curves which could then be reviewed in detail and compared to those generated on the dyno.

you would be surprised how much power there is to be had by getting the fuel curve correct... and more isn't always better.

very easy to over jet carbs or get small float problems that then kill the power by being rich and all that extra fuel ends up in the oil... not a good deal in eiether respect. with this much power its easy to be significantly wrong and not really feel it.