Bad back/seat help >

Bad back/seat help

Notices

Bad back/seat help

Old 02-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad back/seat help

Hi guys, has anyone tried to improve there seats for there bad back? I had back surgery last week and will have some time on my hands recovering . My condition allowed me to use my boat only twice last year. Im looking foward to having a better summer this year with my surgery and hopefully some good advice from you guys.
My boat is a 30 spectre cat with sit down seating. I have added a wind deflector and need to raise my seat about 1inch.
Before i add foam to the seats i wanted to know if there is a better foam or material that I should look into. I rember seeing a race on tv some years ago that was using some NASA stuff to help with the shock . The boat was a batboat and had broken the drivers ribs from some waves. The next race had a new driver with some space age materials used to help with the impacts,for the life of me i cant rember what they used. I know they have some special foam for the nascar seats, but wanted to what maybe the racers were using. Any links or advice to making my seat absorb impacts as best as they can . Txs
Old 02-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Registered

Re: Bad back/seat help

I AM DOING MY BACK SEAT OVER TO. IN A BAJA 240 OL MAKING IT A THREE SEATER WITH LUMBAR SUPPORT MY FRONT BOLSTERS HAVE A LUMBAR CURVE North TO South SIDES East TO West and extra padding at the end of the seat were your knees end. I am getting injections in my spine I have a bad l4,l5,s1,s2,s3 , three tears in my left shoulder and any week now getting my right knee replaced and I refuse to give up my boat hope to race this summer once again any Q OR A I''ll check back got to lay down know got my second shots in the spine to night and I can't move to good party artie the one man party
Old 02-23-2006, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Bad back/seat help

Try this:

http://www.bakerprecision.com/backsave.htm

Due
Old 02-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Memory Foam Mattress Topper at target about 150.00 per box. used two boxes for a queen size bed to redo the seats in my proline since i have a bad back and long offshore fishing trips really hurt. has helped a ton used this because i could not find seats or seat cushions that were made of this for boats. ok ok i'm acheap azz all my money goes to my scarab.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:05 AM
Registered

Guys You need to call Rick at Sea Systems. They build boat seats for the Navy. and race boats. They can custom build just about anything you may need. We have them in our race boat and it is the best thing I have ever seen. Iam sure Rick will send you some pics, and all the infor you will need.

Sea Systems 434 374-9553
Old 02-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Registered

Thanks for all replies, the info you guys are giving me is good as i have time to look into things. I dont wont to put a pad on top on the seat, i would rather have seat stuffed inside with the materials.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Registered

Post Re: Bad back/seat help

I feel real bad for you with the back, also you guy's with the knee problems that sucks too. I feel that chiropractics is not the only answer. I've been stretching more and crack my own back and I have had less back issues than before.
A real message to younger guy's take care of your body. Get help to lift if something is heavy. Just because we can lift it, dosen't mean we should !
Also I have had a scope on my Left knee, and they took out about half of my meniscus. I'll never be the same again, but I had to do it because I was in agony. Now it dosen't hurt so much, but it pops and clicks, and bothers me in the rain and cold.
One thing I noticed about fast boating and rough water is when you stand up your knees take alot of the pounding, and when you sit your lower back gets the impact.
The only thing I could really think that would work best, is a pneumatic seat like in an over the road tractor.
Has anyone tried this ? BBB
Old 02-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HighPriority
Guys You need to call Rick at Sea Systems. They build boat seats for the Navy. and race boats. They can custom build just about anything you may need. We have them in our race boat and it is the best thing I have ever seen. Iam sure Rick will send you some pics, and all the infor you will need.

Sea Systems 434 374-9553
Do they have a website i did a search but didnt come up with anything. Also looks is great but i need good performance and am looking for best materials that will benefit my situation.

Big block billy, i dont have any expertise with those seats and they wouldnt work in my boat. I cant remember the guys name maybe its Fabio B from Argentina who builds race boats with those seats in it. I remember seeing it on a website, he also builds some military/patrol boats.Cant remember the site but i know its out there.
With my condition a bigger v hull might be better for me one day. I would hate to give up what i have tho.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Registered

Maybe someone makes even a seat with shock absobers.
Whatever you do we all know that we all need something to absorb the Impact instead of our precious backs and knees. We put alot of strains and stresses on our bodies that it was never designed to take. I like the idea of the bigger boat. I have a 21' with a 454 that does 72Mph and although it's more fun than driving the 24' formula, At 32 years of wear and tear I cant handle taking it through 4' chop and bouncing around anymore. BBB