More SBC Upgrades >

More SBC Upgrades

Notices

More SBC Upgrades

Old 02-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More SBC Upgrades

Sorry if this subject has previously been beat to death but I've got some more questions. I've read much of the posts and responses here. I have a 1987 Liberator 211 that I intend to restore - re-paint, upgrade the engine and redo trailer. The boat currently has the Mag 350 w/Alpha. I'd like to get as close to 400hp as possible without going completely thru the engine. Don't want to go the 383 route just yet. I've talked to the factory and was told this hull was developed for the Liberator and should be good for 70mph. My goal would be as close as possible to this number (without going BB) I intend to check engine condition - if compression etc is ok I plan the following: Vortech heads, air gap intake, change to a Holley, not sure about the ignition yet, still puzzled on cam choice, install new exhaust - thinking about the Revolution manifolds, and compete re-plumbing of fuel system. Would like to keep the mechanical fuel pump. Some questions:
1. What cam
2. Is the stock ignition system sufficient
3. Any recommendations on a decent fuel/water separator
4. Exhaust manifolds - without breaking the bank.
I've also read some of Dennis Moores SBC book and he does write that most of the original equipment is just fine. I can't see a staggered bore carb being as efficient at fuel/air mixture flow as a square bore carb (at 1/2 and greater throttle) for example. I'm not doubting his marine knowlege,but maybe I'm looking for something a little more radical than he suggests.
Thanks

Last edited by LiberatorII; 02-23-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Registered

Default Re: More SBC Upgrades

i'm in the same process that you are with a 89 liborator 211. pretty sweet boat, even sweeter if you got a deal like i did. i built a 355 for mine. It's a 11:1 compression 355 balanced rotating assembly, stock heads with verry little work . comp cams lift is .440/.440 and duration is 218/218. good from 1200-5200 rpm. ignition system is still stock and exhaust is stock. it also has roller rockers. nothing extra ordinary... including all machine work with all new internals (excluding crank & rods) i've only got about $2300 in everything. it also is topped with a performer intake & 650cfm holley. thinking about going with a torker II manifold (about $95 from summit racing) this combo is making about 395-410 hp on 93 octane . looking at 65-70 mph
Old 02-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an '88 211 with a 460 King Cobra that topped out at 62mph. Your small blocks have their work cut out for them . That boat is solid and heavy. I replaced the 460 Ford with a 540 Ford dynoed at 625 hp/710 ft tq and could stand an 85 mph speedo straight down. Sorry I did have a GPS back then.
Actually the hull didn't handle hat speed too bad as long as it was calm .
Old 02-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Registered

I learned from little outboards (well, little boats, BIG outboards) that chine walkin' is scary at first, but you can actually control it with some practice. it takes a lot of trim, steering and throttle input... Helps tp have a foot throttle and trim controls on the wheel! I'm sure a 2 ton (or so) boat is a little scarier beyond their limits than a 1100 lb (including motor!) outboard
Old 02-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jamieslib
i'm in the same process that you are with a 89 liborator 211. pretty sweet boat, even sweeter if you got a deal like i did. i built a 355 for mine. It's a 11:1 compression 355 balanced rotating assembly, stock heads with verry little work . comp cams lift is .440/.440 and duration is 218/218. good from 1200-5200 rpm. ignition system is still stock and exhaust is stock. it also has roller rockers. nothing extra ordinary... including all machine work with all new internals (excluding crank & rods) i've only got about $2300 in everything. it also is topped with a performer intake & 650cfm holley. thinking about going with a torker II manifold (about $95 from summit racing) this combo is making about 395-410 hp on 93 octane . looking at 65-70 mph
You're running 11:1, no detonation problems with 93 octance fuel? Are you actually getting 65-70 mph or is that an estimate? Sounds like a great package, did you work over your stock heads a little?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Registered

my buddy has a 2004 baja outlaw that runs 63 on gps and i will pull him. timing set on 32* and no detination. do you have any pictures of your boat on here?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:14 AM
Registered

Sorry don't have any pics - have had the boat for a few years been in storage last 2 years and it's time to get it back on the water. Really like the boat, is a lot of boat for only 21', adequate cabin for overnighters yet very towable. Also like the teak wood and classic styling. Just need more speed, we use it water skiing occasionally but mostly cruising. A drag only going high 40's maybe low 50's - especially after being at the Miami boat show - 105 in a 42' is more like it.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:23 AM
Registered

I guess everyone's tired of talking about small blocks. I'd really appreciate any input from you knowledgeable folks on my above posted questions. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

I have been working (on and off) on mine for two years, the info on this forum has been plentiful, I have a 23' formula with twin small blocks, I was going to build a pair of strokers, but ended up buying two new engine/drive packages from Pro Tec Marine. The engines from Pro Tec were less expensive than building my own, the only drawback($$) is I had to upgrade to Bravo drives, which I was goig to do anyway in the future. If you want to build you own I have all the parts I aquired to do my own, and will get rid of cheap! If you spend some time and do some "searchs" in this section of the forum you will find all the info you need!
Old 02-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Registered

I'd like to talk to you about your parts, I'll have to upgrade site membership for pm's I guess. I thought about doing the Bravo swap as well and going BB and all problems would be solved. I've got a 461 laying around now that I could use, but the $ for Bravo swap on this boat doesn't make sense at this time. If I had a twin though....I'd do it. Will upgrade what's there, stay with the Alpha and look for something else with twins for now. Thanks

Quick Reply: More SBC Upgrades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.