Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New guy – West Michigan noise/Lightning Dry Headers vs. Stellings or CMI >

New guy – West Michigan noise/Lightning Dry Headers vs. Stellings or CMI

Notices

New guy – West Michigan noise/Lightning Dry Headers vs. Stellings or CMI

Old 03-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New guy – West Michigan noise/Lightning Dry Headers vs. Stellings or CMI

Patriyacht, sounds like a very similar setup... I'm running modified AFR 325's, sweet heads. Does your primary water dump occur at the beginning of the tailpipe - I've seen ones that dump near the end as well, around 3/4"-1" diameter coming off the tailpipe. I'm assuming the dumps comes off the top of the pipe to avoid hotspots??
Also, with less water, are you running shotguns, what kind of muffler? How does that work with less water? seeing that the water does a lot of the quieting in a shotgun.

Thanks,
Tibbstoy2/Jeff
Old 03-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New guy – West Michigan noise/Lightning Dry Headers vs. Stellings or CMI

Not sure what you mean by primary water dump. The water goes from the manifold to the tailpipe via a 1" hose to the top. Water travels to the tip and exits. A new bung was added just inside the transom on the upper side to make sure the tailpipe stays full of water. I'd take a picture of the inside where the inner and outer pipes are welded but the boat is in storage. I'm using Gaffrig mufflers with the air operated flap that closes and forces the exhaust out to the sides. They are very restrictive and should not be used above about 2500 rpm.