Originally Posted by klaw
hows the preload?
PRELOAD?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bearing Question

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
I DID REPLACE THE BEARINGS NOT THE RACES. I THINK I WILL JUST LET A SHOP DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM. I HAVE THE NEXT WEEK OFF AND WOULD RATHER SPEND IT ON THE WATER THAN IN MY SHOP. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.
Ding ding. The races or cups sometimes called are pitted and burning the grease out of the hub. You will need BOTH bearing and race replaced. If you are unable to do it let a good shop do it for you, it's not a hard job but if done wrong it is very expensive with a tow or worse.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scottc
Ding ding. The races or cups sometimes called are pitted and burning the grease out of the hub. You will need BOTH bearing and race replaced. If you are unable to do it let a good shop do it for you, it's not a hard job but if done wrong it is very expensive with a tow or worse.
THANKS I DID NOT KNOW THAT I WILL LET A SHOP DO THE WORK. LIKE I SAID I THINK I WILL GO BURN SOME FOSSIL FUEL INSTEAD.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the grease is not in sight anywhere would lead me to believe you did not pack the trough full of grease on repack .also need some in the cap if bearing Buddy's are not used.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

I DID REPLACE THE BEARINGS NOT THE RACES. DON'T KNOW WHERE THE GREASE IS GOING ITS NOT ON OR AROUND THE BRAKES.I THINK I WILL JUST LET A SHOP DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM. I HAVE THE NEXT WEEK OFF AND WOULD RATHER SPEND IT ON THE WATER THAN IN MY SHOP. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.

Your generally supposed to replace races with bearings. Even when you repack them and replace the seals you put the bearing back in the same place they originally were. If you are pumping grease into your bearings it has to be going somewhere. Maybe you have a bad seal??? You should see the grease on the inside of your wheel if you do. Clean it up real good with brake cleaner and see where it goes.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Sounds like the trailer is carrying all the weight on the rear axle. You could try lowering your hitch to get trailer frame parralel to ground, if that's not it then switch out the axle for heavyier duty one.

That will only pertain to a torsion trailer. A leaf spring trailer will have an equalizer bar so both axle carry the same weight regardless of tongue height.

The grease HAS to be going somewhere. No if ands or buts. If you don't see it, then either your grease gun is not pumping any grease (gotta get that air pocket out) , or you got a hub full of grease, and no brakes.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

PRELOAD?
Preload is taking the slop out of the bearing so the rollers will have the proper contact and are loader against the outer race properly To much preload and bearing will fail do to heat to little and brearing will fail do to slop between roller and race.
Not hard to set once you have done it.

When you change the bearings you need to do both races and also pack them with grease making sure they are loaded with grease before install
When you install them preload is the amount of load you put on them during inital installation.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:56 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Great diagnosis SCOTTC

BYUBOY you obviously don't mind jumping in to a dirty project.

If you don't have the tools to press the races out, most trailer shops carry hubs with bearings and seals installed for around $25.00. That way all you have to do is pull the old ones inspect the axle for damage and install the new ones after packing the bearings if that is not already done.

Just pull a hub and take it with you.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Registered

I Took Everything Apart Again Last Night,cleaned It All Up Real Good And I Did Find That Both Had Bad Seals. I Am Going To Pull The Other Two And Replace Everything. Don't Think I Will Use Buddy Bearings Again.

Quick Reply: Bearing Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.