Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Buying new long blocks -best source?? >

Buying new long blocks -best source??

Notices

Buying new long blocks -best source??

Old 03-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying new long blocks -best source??

Has anyone had any experience with Biggie Motors or RH Racing? I am looking to repower my Cig with 572 long blocks. The Bulldog 540 components off my old motors will be used. I like what I see in the Biggie Motors OSO classified ad. Looks like good parts and a good price. Ceramic coated aluminum heads with titanium exhaust valves should be a good choice with the rash of exhaust valve problems going around. Has anyone used these guys??
Old 03-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Buying new long blocks -best source??

Originally Posted by Steve Snider
Has anyone had any experience with Biggie Motors or RH Racing? I am looking to repower my Cig with 572 long blocks. The Bulldog 540 components off my old motors will be used. I like what I see in the Biggie Motors OSO classified ad. Looks like good parts and a good price. Ceramic coated aluminum heads with titanium exhaust valves should be a good choice with the rash of exhaust valve problems going around. Has anyone used these guys??

titanium exhaust valves ??? not sure about it in a marine app unless racing

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Buying new long blocks -best source??

Steve,
I am a WD for everyone from EFI,Cyl.Heads,camshafts, blocks, ect.ect. We have been in business 47 years building reliable winning performance engines. I can give you competitve prices and components and any machine work you may need . The advice and support comes free with your business. I will get you into the right combination the first time around! Thanks again!

Dean Gellner
Gellner Engineering Marine Power
(216) 398-8500

Last edited by mrhorsepower1; 03-25-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
Steve,
I am a WD for everyone from EFI,Cyl.Heads,camshafts, blocks, ect.ect. We have been in business 47 years building reliable winning performance engines. I can give you competitve prices and components and any machine work you may need . The advice and support comes free with your business. I will get you into the right combination the first time around! Thanks again!

Dean Gellner
Gellner Engineering Marine Power
(216) 398-8500

Dean where are you located?

Whats your opinion of a titanium exhaust valve is a marine engine?

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the motor apart and decided to rebuild it due the good parts in the motor. It is what appears to be a modified Mercruiser Bulldog 540. Block is Mark IV Bowtie talldeck, The Wiseco pistons are 4.440 with floating pins, the crank is 4.375 stroke, rods appear to be Manley H beam. The cam is a Howard roller hydraulic that is marked HR with 360 over 370 and 129999. The Howard Cam company has no record of the cam. It was built before the new owners bought the company. I assume the 360 and 370 X 1.7 rocker ratio gives me my lift of 612/629. The person who sold me the boat seems to think the cam duration is 236 and 244 @.050. I hate to have valves set up without a cam card with required seat pressures so I guess I need to order new cams for both motors too. The motor failed due to the #6 exhaust seat coming loose. Gill exhausts with long risers may have contributed to water reversion causing this also. ??? It scored a couple cylinders and I had the cylinders bored .030 to 4.470. Pistons are ordered from Wiseco (3 weeks out). I have been running big blocks in boats for over 30 years and it is valve train components that seem to cause the failures in most big blocks. I have decided to put Eickert/Dart aluminum heads that are coated for salt water corrosion on both motors. In my mind these aluminum heads will disipate heat better. I flush each motor for 10 minutes after the boat is loaded so the salt water issue with aluminum doesn't bother me. If any of you guys have any info on the above mentioned cam I sure would appreciate some help.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Dean where are you located?

Whats your opinion of a titanium exhaust valve is a marine engine?

Rob
Cleveland,Ohio Rob. Titanium exhaust valves for a marine engine....NO. I have run them in our N/A offshore race engines but would not recomend the for pleasure app.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Snider
You are in Florida. Contact Mesa Balancing for your engine needs. Straight forward information and his engine builds are known to be the same.