Speaker cable

Notices

Speaker cable

Old 03-02-2006, 05:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Speaker cable

I'm installing some 6" round speakers. What kind of cable should I use. Something I was reading says to use "non-stranded" because it is less likely to corrode. Also it said to use 18 gauge or heavier.

Thanks,
Dave M.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Speaker cable

Solid wire will likely break soon with the vibration of a boat. Solid also does not mate too well to most speaker connections, either on the amp or the speaker. 18/2 SPT2 would be fine for your speakers with most amps. It's available at any Home Depot/Lowes. Typically, marine grade wire is tin plated and this is usually considered desirable because it inhibits corrosion. It is also considerbly more expensive and usually only available at marine stores or electronic wholesalers. With 15-60 or so watts the 18 gauge should be fine if you're not running it too far, as in over 25'. The longer the cable run, the larger the wire. I probably wouldn't run 18 gauge on a sub.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks! One more question. Does it matter if all the cables are of equal length? The stereo is on the star side. So, the star side runs are very short. For the port side, the original speaker cables are ran under the cockpit liner. I'm not sure if I will be able to run the new ones under the liner. I hope to use the old ones as a pull string to pull the new ones. But, that might not work. My other option was just to go down the star. side, and around the transom to the port side. That would make those runs nearly twice as long.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would avoid running back and around the transom if at all possible. And yes, if you do make that long run, upsize to 14/2 SPT2 or your choice of 14 AWG wire.

Good luck with your system.